Friday, August 11, 2006

Gah: Redux


So the alternator was bad. The old battery might've fucked it up when it died. $222 for parts and labor. Worse than we hoped for but way better than we feared.

OH! But surprise...the front tires were so bald that they were basically riding on the steel belts inside. That'll be another $200, please.

And the alternator burned out our 2-month-old battery with a 3-year-warranty.

BUT the mechanic knew a guy at Auto Zone where the battery came from, so he drove MB to Auto Zone, where MB got our money back for the killed battery and then bought a brand-new one with a 2-year warranty and I think saved 5 bucks on the whole deal. So THAT was really good.

And MB asked them if they could fix the driver's side window, which hasn't worked in like two years.

Oh, AND? There was some problem with the rear "castings," whatever the hell that means. Wear and tear and unsafe and not up to specs and blah blah blah mechanic-speak blah.

We either go to the most conscientious auto shop ever or we have "SUCKER" tattooed on our foreheads. I don't doubt that the tires were bald and I knew about the window, but I can't help but feel a tiny bit suspicious when they managed to add not one but THREE things to our list of repairs, to the tune of $644 over two days. Somebody's baby got new shoes! And probably a pony, too.

We so did not need to spend almost $700 on the car right now. I will say that I'm immensely grateful that we actually had the money to fix it. We didn't have to put it on the credit card like we probably would've a year ago. THAT feels good, in a sick way.



This is super cool, but so very weird.

Roadkill as art.

Here's my favorite piece, Gilded Squirrel:


Click the site's links at your own risk. Some of them are pretty icky.




And then I became a character from a chick-lit novel

After I dropped MB off at work this morning (at six-fucking-thirty), I went to my favorite donut place and picked up breakfast for me plus some for my parents and sister. I also picked out a few things with the specific intention of sharing them with someone else.



In case you can't tell what he's eating, here's another shot:



Dudes, I totally picked out donut holes for the CAT. (Because he likes donut holes, obviously.) As I stood in the bakery mentally tallying up donut holes, I think I knew in my heart that I was having a Crazy Moment: "Six vanilla...so that's 3 for Little Sis, and 2 for me if I just give one to the cat..."

Tell the truth, though...could you say no to this face?


I didn't think so.



Reading: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, Eric by Terry Pratchett

Playing: Plans by Death Cab For Cutie

Obsessed With: Project Runway! Last night's episode was FAB. Also, somewhat: Zach Braff. Blame her.

No comments:

Post a Comment