Monday, August 07, 2006

Holiday! Celebrate!


It was a big weekend for celebration around here, and it seems a good time was had by all. On Friday night, MB hung out with one of his friends and I went out shopping with some of my friends. It was fabulous and I managed to escape the Target Vortex mostly intact. Score! On Saturday night, one of my best friends celebrated her 25th birthday with a make-your-own-sundae get-together followed by group gallivanting at the playground while wearing glow bracelets. I had SO MUCH FUN. I sometimes think that the world would be a better place if everyone took time out to swing every now and then. Somehow the frolicking ended with the whole group sitting around on a piece of playground equipment and telling ghost stories. I can't rememeber how that even started, but once the cops came around and booted everyone out of the park (what party animals we are! Woooo!), we went back to her place and continued with the spooky stories until 1 AM.

I had arranged to have the whole weekend off from work. Originally, I was supposed to go to an outdoor festival with my dad on Saturday, and spend the day with MB on Sunday for our anniversary (observed). Then my dad's work schedule got completely FUBARed and he wasn't going to get off work until 15 minutes before he was planning to pick me up for the festival. It felt sort of like serendipity, so even though I was disappointed that I didn't get to spend the day with Dad, I plucked the carp*, bailed on the festival altogether, and spent the whole weekend hanging out with MB. It was a very laid-back celebration, but I think it was just about perfect.

We ended up lounging on the couch a lot. Over the course of two days, we watched the first season of Scrubs (on DVD; LOVED IT.), The Exorcism of Emily Rose (Better than we expected, but our hopes were not high. More of a legal drama than a proper thriller, and definitely not a horror movie) Dark Water (oh, mercy...it was terrible. TERRIBLE. Boring and not even remotely spooky, even to a wuss like me, AND the almost-end felt like a cheap rip-off of The Ring. I say "almost-end" because after the cheap-ass resolution, there are like 5 fake fade-outs and a cheesy twist that I didn't even care that much about after being bored for at least 2/3 of the movie.), and finally The Replacements, which is not a brilliant film, but was a lot better than I remembered, and definitely helped salvage the evening, movie-wise.


It's been 2 years since we got married and 6 years since the day we met. To my hero, my rock, my lover, my very best friend, my husband...Happy Anniversary. Here's to forever.

I was going to post a sappy yet non-identity-revealing wedding photo, but I think this better conveys the depth of wonderful of this life we've made...goofy, frequently hilarious, sometimes bizarre, not for everyone, but perfect for us:



"My Nintendo."

(Yes, there is a backstory, but I somehow doubt
anyone really cares. Just enjoy the cat photo, ya'll. ;) )


Reading: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

Playing: Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly, August and Everything After by Counting Crows

*According to MB and his Latin & English dictionary, carpe diem actually means "pluck the day," as carpe apparently comes from a word meaning "to pluck, pull off, select, choose out; and so to enjoy." For some reason ever since he told me that, I translate it as "pluck the carp." Maybe it's best not to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment