Sunday, July 01, 2007

Remembrance


In November of 2001, I received a strange envelope in the mail at my campus apartment. Instead of my campus address, it had been sent to the university's address, with my name at the top and the school's switchboard phone number and website at the bottom. Odd. The return address was the Banjul Inter-Airport, The Gambia. Since I didn't know anyone in Gambia and we'd been hearing about anthrax by mail for two months, my roommates and I put it in a Ziploc bag and stuck it on the fridge without opening it. I called the post office to see if it could be dangerous, even though I figured the chances were pretty slim, and the woman I talked to assured me that if it had reached me, it had been thoroughly screened and was perfectly safe.

I never got around to opening the envelope, and so it stayed on the side of the fridge until we moved out at the end of the spring semester. I thought about throwing it away, but I was really curious and J-Dog finally convinced me to open it. Inside was a photo and a handwritten letter.


Dear Velocibadgergirl,

I the above measured name is here by sending you my sincere greetings to you and the rest of your falow students in the university and your family too whom I realy build interest to extend my greeting to them. How are you all feeling? How is your family feeling? and Are you married? Velocibadgergirl for you to know me as I want, my name is Sadibou S. I am boy of 23 years old and a Gambian by nationality belonging to a single parent family where I am there with my mother, my two younger sisters and two younger brothers. I am a graduated student who graduated this year and no employment yet but I prefer to apply for further education in college / university. But recently I am doing one year course of computer but is also hard to me because the fee is also expensive and what I normally do with my mother is, we sell firewood for my fees and the feeding of the family.

I respectively found your address in a book pertaining to the university you are, where I feel like of having your address. So for being in case, I and my family feel very proud to have an address like yours. The basic reason of writing you letter is for you to cope with me and we build up a strong friendship between us, I would be happier to hear from and your family with pictures for my rememberance. Thank you very much may God guide you from bad events bye.

Yours faithfully,
Sadibou S.



I never wrote back. Part of me was worried that it was a scam. Part of me was pretty sure it was the height of American arrogance to actually believe that just getting a letter from a US college student would make the writer happy or proud. I'd started dating MB in August of 2000 and was actually moving from campus to his apartment, so part of me felt that writing back to say "yes, let's be platonic pen pals" to someone who asked "are you married?" would be a little bit cruel. I told myself it had been six months since the letter had arrived, and surely he'd forgotten all about it. I still have the letter. I still wonder about the person who wrote it. I wonder what he's doing now. I wonder if he still wonders why I never wrote back.

5 comments:

  1. Wow... now that is extremely strange. Do you think maybe he thought he was applying to your school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely not. My picture was in the university catalog in the section about housing, and there was a quote from me about how I liked living on campus. There is no way he could've assumed I was in administration or admissions. Well, not unless he was insane, which I suppose is possible. I always figured he saw my picture and thought I looked friendly (or like an easy mark? Who knows...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I haven't thought about this in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me kind of sad somehow. I like to think he didn't think of you as an easy mark but instead a contact in the US with a kind face who could perhaps guide him with something. Perhaps he'd been intending on attending the college and wanted to know someone somehow? Perhaps he was just dreaming of such a thing and wanted contact with someone who was doing so? How on earth did he get the catalog to begin with?

    Imagine what a strange letter for him to write to begin with and address to the school like that enclosing his picture and whatnot.

    I wonder what became of him now too. And what his motives truly were. I'm now afraid this boy shall haunt my mind the rest of the afternoon at least. Bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you getting the letter, but I'm not sure I ever knew before now what it said. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete