Monday, August 27, 2007

Hope springs eternal... *


Historically, I am big on ideas and short on staying power (see:  long-forgotten knitting projects, New Year's resolutions, wedding photo albums (sorry, Mom), dozens of unfinished short stories, two abandoned proto-novels, learning to cook, getting in shape, ad infinitum). Therefore, I'm not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to purchase this cross-stitch kit to make for my dad:



I've got to be kidding, right?




I started it yesterday, against my better judgement. I haven't cross-stitched anything larger than a bookmark (as a joke for my dear friend The Untamed Shrew. It said, "You are a great friend to me and you have a lovely purple ass." LONG story, but she loved it.) since I was about twelve.

I started sorting and separating the thread at 3:00 PM. By 11:00 PM, this is what I had accomplished:



Let's take a closer look, shall we?


Well, at least you guys know what I'll be doing with my quiet evenings from now until the end of fucking time.




Also, while we're on the subject of slightly weird, geeky projects, the carnivorous plant terrarium came out of the fridge on Sunday, after "stratifying" for two months.


According to the directions, the seeds will probably take another 3 to 6 weeks to germinate. They really should put a big red label on the outside of the box warning that these things do not make a good project for someone with the patience of a gnat.



4 comments:

  1. I admire you for even trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tired just looking at that.

    And I get these romantic ideas about cross stitching something for my kids...and then I realize I have no talent AND no patience. At least you have one of the above. :) (And technically I think two since you've already waited two months on that damn plant!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Holy crap. Well, your work looks very tidy and nice so far!

    I once bought a cross-stitch full-size Monopoly board. Is it still in its package, more than 10 years later? Why, yes it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo doesn't reveal how many stitches I've had to pick out after mis-counting. Luckily, I've managed to remain calm so far. In years past, I'd just get frustrated and fling the whole thing into a drawer in a fit of resentment.

    ReplyDelete