Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Not quite heaven, West Virginia


Dear Unnamed Hotel:

When I called and asked, "Do you have wireless in your rooms?" and you said, "Yes!" but you really only have it in your common room, well...that makes you a big fat LIAR.

Having spent a week and a half looking forward to working and blogging in my pjs from my plush hotel bed, I was less than amused when I found out the truth.

Also, when I changed my order after finding out that the chicken salad in your restaurant is made with mustard instead of mayonnaise (WTF?), and then the fish sandwich I ordered instead turned out to be no longer available, that sort of sucked.


I'm still disappointed that you are dirty, dirty liars, but at least the common room has this big squooshy armchair for me to sit in, tech-whored out with my laptop and digital camera hooked up and my mp3 player plugged into my ears to keep me from getting distracted by the people wandering through. (Seriously, I feel so ridiculously tech savvy, and it's all a clever ruse.) And at least the chicken Caesar salad I finally ended up with last night was almost orgasmically good.

Love,
the slightly mollified velocibadgergirl


So, anyway, I'm in Wheeling, West Virginia for a conference. It's been fun so far, if a little bit exhausting. Now that I've been able to get my anticipated blog / message board / email fix, I'm feeling less twitchy. (Addicted? Me?) It's too bad we don't have any time to go out and enjoy the area, because we're in an area of large hills / small mountains, and I'm sure it's gorgeous once you get past the parking lots. Plus, Wheeling itself would be a great place to spend a day. On the way through town, I saw a pink camo ATV in a shop window, with a giant sign that said "Ask us about layaway!" Classic.

Behold...Sputkin. I LOVE science geeks.




Hotel update:
I have wireless tonight! In bed! Sex-ay! I'm super pumped, but I'm still going to steal the little bottles of lotion from the bathroom every day. They smell like primrose and chamomile! No jury would convict me.

Not so sexy: I can totally hear someone snoring in the room above me, through the damn floor. Yikes. Thank God for the mp3 player, that's all I can say about that.

6 comments:

  1. I would be mad, too. Dirty, filthy, rotten liars.

    How is Mr. Kitty doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am worried about how I will do in Florida for one week what with my self-imposed ban on all thing internet and cellular.

    We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate when hotels pull a bait and switch. jerks.

    i took a bar of beautiful-smelling soap from a SWANK hotel where i stayed for a conference. i wish i had any idea what it was called; i'd totally buy it for everyday use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the hotel people are more surprised if you don't steal the free soap and lotion. i'd say you haven't crossed the line until you've made off with at least a towel or some slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:25 AM

    We had some friends over last week who had stayed in a VERY posh hotel in London and they gave us their complimentary bottle of champagne...which was worth £25. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad things improved. And that Sputkin? I want one REAL BAD!

    ...Does theirs beep? Because I'd want mine to beep.

    Also (don't kill me) I've, er. Tagged you. With a meme.

    For when you get back, of course.
    :)

    ReplyDelete