Thursday, January 24, 2008

In which we finally get lucky


The painfully long and picture-laden saga began to reach its denouement on Wednesday, two weeks ago. Our realtor emailed me a listing with a note saying the price had just been dropped, and that she thought we might want to see it. The place was the right size, barely over our budget, and in a neighborhood we never thought we'd actually be able to afford. The pictures didn't look overly promising, but I figured what the hell...at least there weren't any aqua appliances.

Wednesday night around 7 PM the realtor called me so she could explain some complications with the listing. By this point the photos had piqued our curiosity, so when she offered to take us straight over to see it, we went. We took my mom to see it the following night, and went to the bank as soon as we got done with work on Friday. We made an offer that night, the seller countered the following day, and we decided to take the money and run (metaphorically, of course). By Sunday night, it was pretty much finished.

So, barring any unforeseen disasters at the closing, MB and I will be celebrating Valentine's Day weekend by moving all of our worldly possessions and one very confused cat into this house (provided we don't freeze to death first, because it is really fucking cold right now):









I suppose it's some sort of poetic justice for me to fall in love with a house with ugly wallpaper, after being so mean about all those other houses. We're planning to keep the orange cabinets (they're more terra cotta than dreamsicle), and the green 70s carpet on the stairs is growing on me, but the wallpaper has got to go, as soon as possible.


As my dear friend Chick (go vote for her!) would say, thank the sweet Lord.

10 comments:

  1. I have been watching this saga with interest. Hoo-rah! I'm glad you've found something awesome.

    The wallpaper is kind of so-terrible-it's-cool. Not so the green carpet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just before you said it, I was thinking "not loving the wallpaper".
    We moved our 10 yr old cat from MA to Florida last year. He immediately figured out where the food and kitterlitter box were located and the first day he scoped out his new lounging spots.
    Congrats, it looks like a great house. But you didn't tell us if it has a fabulous back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The backyard is pretty nice. Not half an acre, but there's plenty of space. I've already scoped out where I'm going to put the vegetable garden :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hon, if I lived closer, I'd help you with the wallpaper. I'm quite experienced at that, unfortunately!

    I hope all goes smoothly! And Kayla transitioned very well when we moved - it was the dog who had problems. Hopefully your big fluffy boy will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:07 PM

    Congrats! When you do scrape off the wallpaper, be sure and take photos if you come across any older wallpaper or cool graffiti written on the walls. My dad recently removed the wallpaper of 25 years from his kitchen and discovered a truly trippy mushroom-esque painting on one wall from the late 70s. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our realtor told me what she and her husband found under wood paneling in their house...a giant paint-by-number scene of a horse, standing on a cliff under a night sky, mane whipping in the wind. He was painted in dark oils, and nothing would cover him up or take him off. They finally had to drywall over the "art" and paint over the drywall. Hopefully our excavations won't be quite that interesing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hooray! i'm so glad you found something! it looks lovely, except for the scary wallpaper/kitchen cabinets. but that is fixable. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. if i ever stumble over the pictures they took of the horse, do you want to see it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. rabidmonkey, I would be DELIGHTED to see that photo :D

    ReplyDelete