Sunday, February 24, 2008

Golden


During my junior and senior years in high school, I spent nearly every Friday and Saturday night going out to see local bands play. There were three or four that we'd see just about anywhere they played, even a three-stoplight town in BFE called Bridgeport, Illinois that was more than an hour away from home. This was long before MySpace, so shows were advertised by word of mouth and with fliers. Even though I took piano lessons from age 7 on, I think my bone-deep love of music really got started at those shows.

By the time my freshman year in college was underway, all of the main bands had split up. We went to a few shows here and there, but it never was the same. That perfect confluence of music, company, and atmosphere was gone, and we knew even then that we'd never really find it again. I have mourned it at times, even though I've never been one to moon over the good old days or to live life as if high school was the apex of my social existence.

I ran into the guitarist from one of those bands tonight at Starbucks, where he took my order and then squinted at my face and said, "Do I know you from somewhere?" I told him the name of his old band, and that I used to go to all the shows. We chatted about people from the old days. His drummer moved to Nashville three years ago. The bass player toured with a nationally-known band as a merchandiser. The manager now runs his own marketing firm. The singer married the lead singer of another local band, had a baby, and moved to one of the Carolinas. We talked about how we just can't go to shows anymore. We're too old, the kids are too young, and the music just isn't that good.

Driving home, it hit me how horrified the girl I was would be if she saw the grown-ass woman I am now. My uniform is jeans and long-sleeved T-shirts instead of skater pants, tank tops, and little bitty tees. I work 40 hours a week on salary, spend a lot of time behind a desk, and claim chai lattes and chocolate as vices instead of clove cigarettes and late, late nights. I'm a walking cliché with my SUV, big house, marriage, and aspirations of having two happy, well-adjusted kids. What would she see, if she met me now? A sellout, maybe. A conformist. But I see her, and I know she's a part of me, and she always will be. I can still listen to music through her ears, feel the love of it in the marrow of my bones. Those days of shows and knowing all the bands and being part of a scene were golden, but so is this, here, today.









6 comments:

  1. Ah, well, I'm a walking cliche now too. Although I think it was more obvious even in high school that I might one day be a librarian living alone with a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:03 AM

    I hear you. I used to be a floaty folk chick in high school and college, wearing anything that looked vaguely pre-raphaelite. I also had a very large penchant for clove cigarettes. My friend came back from indonesia from a study/service term and brought back crates of the things. Some were even unfiltered. I smoked them in a week and felt like I'd been sucking on an exhaust pipe. But the lovely, sweet taste of the filters and the yummy smelling smoke...bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever. She'd still love you. :D I think we can all look back and remark on how silly the ideas of what and who we wanted to be back then are, now. It's just unrealistic.

    Are you happy? Of course! Then she'll definitely still love you.

    You are the furthest thing from a sellout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to a Bossy day out. When I was in my early 20's all I did was go to bars and listen to bands, I was such a groupy..Pail Divine and The Newsboys were my favorites..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:45 AM

    I must disagree a bit--you're never too old to go see live bands play! All of my friends are married, own houses, even have kids, and still go see live music or even play in bands. There is no "can't" just because their lifestyles have changed from 15-20 years ago.

    But if your interests have changed and you don't *care* to see live music anymore, that's a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, I agree. I didn't mean to imply that I can't / don't want to see live music at all. I meant that I can't go to the same clubs I went to as a teenager, because that would be creepy. (Plus, the venues I went to are closed now anyway, and the kids have new hang-out spots.)

    I still love live music, though not being much for the bar scene and living in a place where that is just about the only music scene, I don't get to see as much as I would like.

    ReplyDelete