Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bask in the glory!


Sometimes, my friends...sometimes the jokes nearly write themselves. I dropped off some cardboard at the recycling center last night, and found this priceless treasure at the top of the magazine bin:

Seventeen magazine, July 1984

Unfortunately, our scanner is not Vista-compatible, so you'll have to make do with some slightly blurry documentation.

You love his voice and marvel at his outrageous sense of style. Now with our "genuine imitation" Boy George braids, you can look Boy-ish, too!

Heaven Sent cologne...you don't have to be an angel to wear it! I'm not sure what disturbs me most--the model's opaque pink tights, which match her pink loafers, or the disembodied hand of her pink-shirted boyfriend off to the left there.

You know what? Forget about angels. Capture the magic of the unicorn with Magical Musk, the fragrance of hidden powers. Oh. My. GOD. Could this get any awesomer?

Unsure what shoes to wear with your painfully awful 80s shorts? Never fear! Seventeen has the answer! For your rad culottes, go for bouncy high-tops that sneak up over the ankle, and add one or two pairs of brightly colored socks for a funky, layered look. Stuck with highwaisted "walking shorts"? Go for loafers and folded-down socks--a classic reunion!

Check out this slammin' outfit!

Instead of an advertising spread selling a collection of clothes, this issue featured a spread of dresses that the reader could construct out of dishtowels. I am totally not making this up. In the back of the magazine, where one expects to see a list of items and prices, there was a small section of directions for how to assemble each dishtowel dress:

To make casing, sew bias tape on inside of skirt along one of the 78-inch edges, 1 inch down from edge and stopping 1 1/2 inches from each end of panel. Make a 1/2-inch buttonhole beside end of bias tape casing on each end of panel. What percentage of modern Seventeen readers would be able to follow this?

Even though it made the assumption that its readers took home ec and knew how to sew, this issue endeared itself to me by providing a "Mini Mag" feature on how to stand up for yourself:

Young women are often conditioned to believe assertiveness is unattractive--but the price of being "agreeable" can be surprisingly high...Having a clear idea of the treatment you're entitled to makes it easier to respond to challenges and demands. The New Assertive Woman, by Lynn Z. Bloom, Karen Coburn, and Joan Pearlman, lists the following points in a "Bill of Rights":  the right to have and express your own feelings and opinions; the right to be listened to and taken seriously; the right to say "no;" the right to get what you pay for; the right to make mistakes.

Finally, my dear friends, the most pressing question of all...


Why was former General Hospital bad boy and future beloved, bemulleted Uncle Jesse chosen as spokesceleb for a girls' depilatory cream? Wonders never cease.



Reading:  The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne. (My friend Tamsyn SWEARS it's good, even though it's a romance. I don't care how good it is, I am NOT reading it on my lunch breaks at work.)

Playing:  Godsmack

15 comments:

  1. Oh for helling hell.

    This nearly made me pee myself.

    I am in a totally foul mood and you? Made everything all right again. Bless you.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. M!!! Hoochie, I have MISSED your skank ass.

    XOXOXOXOXO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 17 in 1984, so for me, it's like a scary walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks I was never really sure what socks to wear in the 80's. No where can I get those cool George braids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks. THANKS. now i have ''I'll tumble for you'' running through my head and i can't make it STOP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH JESUS GOD, UNCLE JESSIE!

    That Mullet rocks. ROCKS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why, on God's green earth, would anyone throw that away?! It's classic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. momo fali -- I know, right?? They had to be crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sort of makes me wish I had kept my 2 years worth of Seventeen subscriptions from the early 90's. Super tiny belly tops with really big pants! Feathered bangs! Luke Perry! Boyz II Men! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am pretty sure this entire comment thread makes TODAY better but being called both a hootchie and a skank ho in one moment? Takes my breath away. Oh PLEAAAAAAAASE come west young train! (um...too much little einsteins. but still! westward. HO! haaaaaaaaaa haha. i? am so funny.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That, my friend, is a true find. Keep it forever and ever.

    Am I a total geek because I got really excited for a minute when I thought John Stamos ACTUALLY autographed it? Yeah, a little slow on the uptake today.

    God, I had such a crush on Uncle Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am I hallucinating, or does Uncle Jesse kinda resemble Chachi here?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danger, I *totally* thought the same thing. Completely thought it was Chachi at first.

    Badger you rock. I love it.

    My question, though, is why the trash-er finally decided, after all this time, that it was time to get rid of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:46 PM

    This magazine is from the month and year of my birth. Obviously I have a lot to learn from it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAHAAAAA. Awesome. I had a similar REALLy Old Seventeen Magazine Experience, too! http://metalia.blogspot.com/2007/09/crushed-ii-teen-idol-version.html

    ReplyDelete