Wednesday, April 23, 2008

They were very clever, the ladies of the night *


Forgive me for my slackerness of late...raising a puppy is sort of kicking our asses. Don't get me wrong, we're loving it, but Indiana goes to bed at 9 PM and gets up to go for his first walk of the day anywhere from 5:00 to 5:15 AM, and thus, his humans are pretty beat by 9 PM and have to drag their wore-out selves out of bed at 5 or 5:15 in the morning. Mommy.

I honestly don't know how you parents of actual human children do this, man. I've got a somewhat lazy, pampered housecat and a rather clever dog. Should be easy, right? Except I turn my back for 30 seconds to get water for somebody, and when I turn around again, Kitters is winding up for a go at pounding Indy's head.

Since Indy seems a little young to spend an entire day alone with no potty breaks, I've been coming home at lunch during the week to let him out. It's super inconvenient and not great for my gas tank, but I find that the time with him is really enjoyable. I've always loved the feeling of moving against the flow as the rest of the world steadily goes forward with their regular workday. The half-hour Indy and I carve out of every day has started to be something I look forward to. We play a little fetch and work on his tricks, but mostly I stand around eating a sandwich while he rolls around in the grass and gnaws on sticks and snuffles at leaves and eats violets and just generally is the most doggish dog he can be.

Today I was struck with a weird contradictory set of feelings--sad that for two months this sweet, happy little guy had to sit in a cage all day at a shelter that was so understaffed they didn't even have dogwalkers, and that nobody picked him; and so very glad that nobody picked him so that we could. And I'm saying all this after he peed on the kitchen floor today while I was in the shower, so you know I really mean it.




Reading:  The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory

Playing:  the mix I made for Heather Feather

* One of the guys on Ghost Hunters said this tonight and I nearly fell over laughing.

4 comments:

  1. Re. spending time with Indy at lunch - I have a similar feeling about the times when my baby wakes in the middle of the night, and I have to go in to the nursery to rock him. On the one hand, being dragged from sleep by the fish hook of his cry is awful... but on the other hand, standing there in the dark while my sleepy baby snuggles damply into the hollow of my neck, is something special, something irreplaceable. It's as if there's just the two of us in the whole world in that moment, and I just breathe in the babyness of him.

    I'm glad you're enjoying your puppy, widdle on the floor and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so a dog mommy now. They tug at your heart don't they, the pets? Last night, Max, my seven-month-old standoffish kitty, climbed up on my chest while I was sleeping and curled up and started to purr. It woke me up and I was desperate to roll over and go back to sleep, but I didn't want to push him off because it was his first time cuddling up to me by choice. So I lay there for what seemed like forever until he wandered off.

    I hope Indie and Kitters come to some kind of detente soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, and Indy, and Kitters, and your Beatle hubby. Can you guys all just move to TN already????

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a cutie though

    ReplyDelete