Monday, May 19, 2008

Ay, there's the rub


I had some freakyweird cracked-out dreams early this morning. My morning dreams tend to be more vivid than my night dreams anyway, and I guess the fact that I just finished the mad tyrant tale The Boleyn Inheritance combined with MB and I watching the ridiculously violent, absurdly fun Shoot 'Em Up last night to create some kind of spicy midnight taco snack for my psyche.

First I dreamed that someone was trying to hurt Kitters. I can't remember the exact details, but I know it involved letting an unfamiliar dog into our room, and maybe some other animals as well. I don't know if I actually sat up in bed and scooped Kitters protectively to my chest -- he was on the bed when I fell asleep, so he could've been there -- or if I just dreamed the exact feel of his fur and his weight in my arms. At some point I may have ripped the covers aside (sorry, MB) as in my dream I saw a strange man lying on the mattress beside me (GAH).

The next dream was worse. Nothing was ever explicitly stated, but it was clear that Nazi-like soldiers (too many viewings of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on cable, perhaps?) were coming to take away all the black people and all the Jews and all the white people who knew and harbored black people and Jews. It was a very, very dark dream. At one point, it was no longer a question of if they were coming to take us, it was when they were coming. I remember very clearly trying to decide if we should leave Kitters and Indy in the house and trust that my parents would come for them, or if the soldiers were likely to hurt them, and if in that case we had time to rush the pets safely to my parents' house to hide them.


I have had only one other Nazi-type dream that I can recall, and this one luckily was not as bad as that one. Either that or I just woke up before the really bad stuff started. In the other dream, the Nazis were taking people away, but somehow I was the only one in my family who knew the truth. The buses came to take my family, and I couldn't get to them in time to warn them. As I ran toward the street corner, my parents boarded one bus and my sister another. I ran hard after the bus my sister was on, screaming her name, watching her ponytail through the bus window, but I knew it was too late. I knew I would never see her again. That was the worst dream I've ever had in my life, and the only one that ever made me wake up crying.

I don't have nightmares often, but when I do, apparently they're really nasty.

So tonight, brain, I think you owe me some unicorns and rainbows and bunnies. Fluffy ones.


Reading:  Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Playing:  August and Everything After by Counting Crows

3 comments:

  1. I had some really strange dreams last night too. Although not as dark as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, anything with Nazis generally scares the crap out of me. i'm glad you didn't have a repeat of that second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you eating before bed? Scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete