Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Snippets and snails and puppy dog tails


Man, I have sucked at blogging lately. Sorry about that! It seems like on the nights I have something to say, I fall asleep in front of the computer (laaaaaaame) and the nights when I'm not asleep by 10:30 PM, I can't think of anything to say.

The dog is enjoying his pool, and I finally caved in to him and MB and agreed that as long as we put a towel down first to catch all the hair, Indy can sit with us on the couch. He's curled up next to me right now, acting as the world's cutest armrest.

I finally got a new tower thingie to keep our DVDs in, since we outgrew our wire DVD rack a long time ago. I'm not sure it's perfect for the space, but it's growing on me, and it's much classier-looking than what we had before.


The garden is growing like crazy. We have a zillion green tomatoes on the vine, but until yesterday none were trying to ripen. Now we finally have two that are rapidly turning orange.


The zucchini is doing reasonably well, and I got a mutant overgrown squash off the vine yesterday.


The cukudzu still seems hell-bent on world domination and has starting creeping along the top of the fence into the tomato plants' territory.



Last Saturday, I took the volunteers I supervise at work to the Adventure Science Center in Nashville. I was kind of nervous about the trip before we went. Not because I was taking seven teenagers out by myself, because even though that is sort of terrifying, they're all really good kids. I was just kind of freaked out because the trip was the first time I've ever been the official and only adult for something like this.

For most of my life, I've been one of the kids on the trip, not the one taking the kids on the trip. Last year when I took the kids caving I drove the rented minivan, but my boss was there and so I didn't feel the pressure of sole responsibility. This time it was all me. All me and seven teenagers in a monstrously huge 15 passenger van. When I picked the van up on Friday after work, I was wearing my favorite pair of three inch wedge heels and got caught in gridlock traffic. Ay chihuahua did that suck. It turned out to be pretty good practice for the drive down to Nashville, which went off without a hitch. I told the kids that the van was a sign of the depth of my love and affection for them, since it was huge and embarrassing and smelled vaguely like a dog.

They were all perfect angels, and the trip was really fabulous. Perhaps being an adult isn't all that bad.

(from MB, just because)






Reading:  The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

Playing:  Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie

3 comments:

  1. I like your new DVD shelf a lot. And excellent random flowers! *highfives your husband*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hubs.

    Also, if you need advice about kudzu, please ask. As you know, we have an entire fence of it in our backyard and it looks decorative and attractive thanks to my hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip good luck

    ReplyDelete