Monday, October 27, 2008

Newsletter:  Year Three


Dear blog,

You turned three years old this month. I meant to mark the day with a happy little post, but I was busier than I thought and now it's been more than a week since your birthday. This is exactly the kind of thing you're going to bring up in therapy in your mid-twenties, isn't it?

Don't worry, blog, I will not forsake you so easily. We've been on quite the journey, you and I, and I think it's safe to say you have become my most successful writing project. Through you I have found my voice and managed to not lose my writing chops altogether. I won't deny that I sometimes fret over my nearly complete failure to Make Something Of Myself as a writer, or regretfully moon over all the fiction I have not written since finishing my creative writing degree.

But through it all, you've been here for me, encouraging me and laying on the guilt when I slack off too much and -- most importantly -- reminding me not to take myself too seriously. So tonight I raise my glass to you, and wish you many happy returns. And next year I'll make more of an effort to get you that pony you asked for.

Love,
vbg




Reading:  Nation by Terry Pratchett

Playing:  the Iron Man soundtrack

1 comment: