Thursday, August 20, 2009

I dreamt I saw you walking up a hillside in the snow


As hard as it is for me to believe, yesterday marked the halfway point in my pregnancy. I am now 20 weeks along, and finally starting to look knocked up instead of just chubby:


We had our 20 week ultrasound yesterday, and found out that our baby is a boy. Everything looked healthy as far as I could tell, and though we didn't get any great photos this time, it was wonderful to see the kid again. The tech was able to get shots of everything she was supposed to see, except for a profile of his face. She didn't seem too concerned, and said it would be up to my doctor whether or not we'd need to come back for another try.

On the second attempt at getting him to turn over, she got a shot of him with his hand flung dramatically to his forehead. She had already burned our CD of photos at that point, so I'll have to scan the copy she printed for us. It's pretty hilarious. We also found out that I have an anterior placenta, which explains why I have yet to feel any kicks.

Here's the little dude, now looking more like a real baby than an alien:


Well, maybe still a little bit alien:



In the weeks leading up to the ultrasound, I'd almost become convinced we were having a girl, though I had two dreams in recent days that the baby would be a boy. MB also dreamed about a boy, so I suppose we should have known. I think the news is still sinking in, though I've started to contemplate the wonderful possibility of raising a small version of MB (we should be so lucky).


P.S.
Here's the oh-so-dramatic pose:




Reading:  Homer's Odyssey: a Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life With a Blind Wonder Cat by Gwen Cooper

Playing:  K by Kula Shaker (oh, the cheesy earnestness of late-90s music videos!)

1 comment: