Sunday, September 06, 2009

Sunrise, sunset


I don't know where days go, honestly. It's not like I have a slammin' social life or anything, though I did have yoga class with evilducky on Tuesday night, and spent Thursday afternoon hanging out with my work friend Julia and her delectable 8-week-old son. Because she met me at our house and it was her first visit, I cleaned on Wednesday night. Our house hasn't looked this good since Christmas! I think I need to find a steady supply of first-time visitors so I have continued motivation to keep things looking sharp.

At 22 1/2 weeks, I suspect I have started to look obviously pregnant even when clothed, though I think it might still depend on the shirt. I had a meeting with some ladies I've known since college the other day, and none of them said a word, so maybe they just think I'm a big fan of beer and chili dogs? Hard to say.



I started researching cloth diapers, mostly because I'm interested in not spending half of my income on disposable diapers, and holy bejesus things have changed since 1986. On the positive side, that means the big white Gerber diapers that you have to fold yourself and then cover with rubber pants are kind of passé. On the negative side, there are so many options I don't know where to start. (Opinions, tips, and advice welcome, even if that advice is simply "Run. Run far away. To the land of Huggies.")

After a grand total of about two hours of poking around online, I have to say the Bum Genius one-size diapers (allegedly fitting 7 - 35 pounds worth of kid) look pretty good. I want something that's as close to disposables as possible on the ease-of-use scale, and I don't want to have to lay out a small fortune for these things more than once. As an added bonus, Target carries them online, so in theory we could register for them and people might actually get some for us. All in all, though, I have to admit I'm tempted to take the easy way out and just buy stock in Pampers.

In news not related to the contents of my uterus, we had an apocalyptic rainstorm yesterday that dropped about 3 inches in 2 hours or so. The parking lot at work was so flooded I had to wade to my car in water nearly up to my knees, and so much of it ended up in the floor mats from my shoes and pants that my car now smells like a very, very rank wet dog if I leave it parked with the windows rolled up. Awesome. I'm a huge fan of summer rainstorms, but give me a damn break, you know? Gah. And it's supposed to rain all week, so by the next nice day when I can finally leave it sitting in the sun with the windows down, I'll be lucky if I don't have small mangrove swamps growing under my seats. And that's really only okay if miniature manatees are included.

Speaking of manatees, no wonder my jeans don't fit.

5 comments:

  1. You look so cute! Even though you probably don't feel cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I actually feel pretty cute right now, which I didn't expect. :)

    I feel like I'm in a happy place between "Is she pregnant or just letting herself go?" and "Holy crap, haven't you had that baby yet?" I'm going to try to enjoy it as long as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bum Genius is an AWESOME name for diapers.

    I was also thinking your baby belly was very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, preggie pooch! I don't miss it but it sure is cute on you.

    YES, Bum Genius! Just be sure that you use a teeny bit of detergent (really, teeny. Like a tablespoon teeny) when you wash them or you'll end up with stinky inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm pretty sure at this point people think you're preggers, but don't say anything just on the off chance it's beer and chili dogs.

    ReplyDelete