Thursday, December 10, 2009

In which MB saves the day (or at least the dessert)


Last night I was making a cheesecake for the neighborhood Christmas potluck this Saturday, and I guess I got overconfident. Or maybe just stupid. I was reflecting pleasantly on how easy the process is now that I've made a few cheesecakes. As I was adding the third egg of four, I dropped half of the shell into the bowl, while the mixer was still on, of course. And before I could reach in and snatch it, it got sucked under the beaters. Imagining my batter to now be full of tiny bits of eggshell shrapnel, I did the only thing I could do. I wailed loudly.

MB came in to check on me and found me fishing blindly in the bowl with a fork, desperately hoping I'd be able to find and remove all the shell fragments. Because he is much cleverer than I am, he suggested pouring the batter through our pan strainer instead. And wouldn't you know it? Worked like a charm. I'm pretty relieved that we won't be playing cheesecake roulette on Saturday, waiting to see who finds eggshell in their slice. Though I guess that would have livened things up a bit.


Reading:  A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Playing:  Christmas music, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment