Monday, August 02, 2010

Things my child has recently attempted to eat


my flipflop
the pediatrician's stethoscope
the crinkly paper on the pediatrician's exam table
the floor
his toes
my toes
my sleeve entire shirt
his bead maze
the camera
the edge of a restaurant table
the frame of his jumparoo
the base of his Exersaucer
his collection of vintage Little People and their vehicles
blankies in various states of cleanliness
the sheets on the bed
my laptop cord
the leg of our end table
the base of his outgrown bassinet, which is actually my bassinet from 1981


And yet, the other day when I gave him a Cheerio, he sat there with it stuck to his lip, his face crumpled in an expression of utter disgust. I truly wish I had a photograph, because it was remarkable how offended he was by this horrifying attempt to get him to eat something that was clearly both awful and potentially poisonous.


He had a relatively eventful weekend, with MB's mom coming up for a visit. She played with him for what probably added up to several hours, and he accompanied us to breakfast at Denny's on Sunday, a trip to Target, and a walk to the local donut shop this morning. He showed off his semi-crawling and his mad oatmeal-eating skills, and she attended bathtime. Other than during naptime, I don't think he spent a moment alone the entire weekend. It was nice for me, too, because I got to go to the bibliophile's birthday party on Saturday night and leave Nico home with MB and his mom. I stayed out until ELEVEN! Talking to ADULTS!

She left this morning, and Nico and I spent the day hanging out. Sometime during the afternoon, evilducky sent me a link to this maternity shirt and I started absentmindedly humming the hook to U Can't Touch This. Apparently, my baby finds cheesy early-90s rap hilarious. Then again, who doesn't?



(Related: The dimple! I die!)



2 comments:

  1. His deep little baby chuckle KILLS ME. And what awesome taste in music he has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he thinks you are humming Superfreak by Rick James? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYHxGBH6o4M

    ReplyDelete