Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kindness


I'm still (really) worried about how my impending job cut will affect our financial situation, but I have two happy updates since the bummer post I wrote the other night. First, BoMB brought back my laptop, patched up with a replacement screen, so I'm writing this from my very own slightly busted but beloved computer. Secondly -- and I'm still a little gobsmacked by this one -- Nico may get to continue his swimming lessons in the Spring after all. Ever since we started our second seven-week round of lessons, the assistant director of the aquatics program has made a special effort to say hi to Nico each time we see her. For a few weeks, I thought we must've met her somewhere else since she knew his name and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't place her. Finally I decided she just knew his name because he was the only boy in the class.

At the second-to-last lesson, a week ago yesterday, she asked us if we were coming back for another session. I told her that I was planning to take the January / February session off because it's so cold out, but that I'd like to bring him back in March. I explained that our coming back would depend on me finding another job, though. Last night she approached us before the class started and handed me the aquatic director's business card, then told me that the director wants me to fill out a financial assistance form and send it directly to her attention. Even though this particular YMCA usually only offers minimal financial assistance for programs to people who have memberships, she will be happy to make an exception and offer us direct program assistance. Apparently they're very pleased with how Nico is progressing in his lessons and they really want to see him continue to learn and grow.

Just writing about this makes me feel a little verklempt and choked up, I have to be honest. I didn't even know they were aware of my little boy, other than noticing him in the hallway and saying hi, and it turns out that they're as proud of his progress in the pool as I am. And as if to prove that their faith in him was not misplaced, Nico had his best lesson yet, spending the entire half-hour kicking his legs and paddling enthusiastically with his arms and showing more confidence in the water than ever before. I wish I had a photo of him in his little swimming trunks to share with you, but you'll just have to imagine it...it's really stinking cute.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:12 AM

    OMG, that is so sweet! What fabulous news and so well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete