Thursday, February 24, 2011

Helter Shelter


I don't usually do this -- and I promise I won't push it -- but in light of the terrible tragedy in New Zealand (and other recent tragedies around the world) I wanted to post about a disaster relief charity I first heard about this week.

Author Maureen Johnson is raising money for ShelterBox, a truly innovative program for families in need. Here's Maureen's post about the project, if you'd like to see what she's doing: http://dft.ba/-shelterbox.

You can also donate directly here: ShelterBox USA / ShelterBoxUK

Each ShelterBox is designed to provide everything a family needs to set up a temporary home when theirs has been lost -- a tent, a stove, water purification supplies, even crayons and coloring books for the children. (It was the crayons that pushed me over the edge and inspired me to donate, as I sat at my desk fighting back tears. And I'm not a cry-er, in general.) To see what a typical ShelterBox looks like, click here.

I know money is tight for everyone. Believe me, I know. But if you can scrape up a few dollars or set aside a small amount from your tax return this year, I'm sure every little bit will help.



No comments:

Post a Comment