Wednesday, October 16, 2013

this, that, and some other things

this, that, and some other things


First thing: We took the kids to a pumpkin patch on Sunday and had a really nice time. We took a hayride out to the pumpkin field and all the paying customers got to pick a pumpkin to take home. The only rule was that you had to be able to carry your pumpkin out, so some of the dads hauled out some ridiculously large gourds. I picked out a respectably-sized but not stupid-huge one that MB was nice enough to carry for me, and then we let Nico pick one for himself and one for Elliott. Nico also got to ride in a barrel train and dig in a sandbox full of seeds, so he was happy. Other than having a nice time, my only goal for the day was to get a photo of my cute baby sitting in front of some pumpkins. Accomplished!











Second thing: I don't usually listen to podcasts, but a friend sent me a link to this one and I really enjoyed it and now want to read the book:

99% Invisible: Wild Ones Live

Third thing: Nico has definitely inherited my uncanny knack for memorization and recitation. We checked out a great kids' book of poems about construction equipment, called Digger, Dozer, Dumper from the library. He loves it and can recite the entire book, big words and all. I haven't managed to record him "reading" the whole book yet, but here are two of the pages from last night…when his Ls finally come in someday, I might have a quiet cry over it.



Fourth thing: MB was trimming his hair with clippers in the bathroom earlier tonight while I rocked the baby to sleep in his nursery. From his bedroom in between Nico called out, "Daddy, I have something to tell you! You have been SO brave. You're being so good right now." It's sometimes hilarious to hear our words coming out of his mouth, like the time I gave him a little kid-sized broom and he went to the living room to sweep the floor after sternly telling the baby, "Elliott, stay out of my dirt!"

Fifth thing: I bought this on a bit of a whim at JoAnn at the beginning of the month. It was pretty expensive but then it was on sale for 50% off and I had a coupon for an additional 15% off so I went for it. I'm so very glad I got it because Nico loves it. Each day he flies the little wooden owl around, makes it say "whoo-whoo!" and carefully places it in the new pocket. Then he tells me, "On the last pocket, that's the day we go trick or treat!" I know I've said it before, but holidays are so much more awesome with kids.



Sixth thing: Brothers. Have mercy. 




Reading:  The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Playing:  The King is Dead and Long Live the King by the Decemberists

No comments:

Post a Comment