Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Teeth and bones and vertebrae, appear before my eyes today...*


A few days ago, a friend of mine IM-ed me and asked if I'd be interested in some bones she found behind her backyard air conditioner. I'm not obsessed with death or with overly morbid things, but bones will get me every time, especially if there's a skull involved.



I think my interest in animal bones may be related to the fact that from as far back as I can remember until I was about 20, I wanted to be a vertebrate paleontologist. I even started my geology degree with the intention of going on to a masters program in paleontology, only to become sidetracked and interested in environmental geology around my sophomore / junior year.

I still think it would be awesome to dig up dinosaur bones, and I tend to dig animal bones, especially skulls. There's something cool about skulls, after all.

Anyway, the mysterious skeleton behind the AC unit seems to be the earthy remains of a rabbit:


"What is this, CSI?" says MB.





Just Finished: A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Playing: some Flogging Molly, some System of a Down, some Johnny Cash

Coming Soon: (I hope) the final part of the kayaking tale

* I believe this comes from The Dinosaur Heresies by Robert Bakker

2 comments:

  1. I believe that quote also comes from The Dinosaur Heresies, as I was looking for the source and that's what I kept thinking of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant was, I was looking for the source and this was the only reference I could find in the entire internet! LOLs!

    ReplyDelete