Friday, March 23, 2007

Lo, the Bargain Gods didst smile upon me.


The other day on my internet board, we got into a discussion of what dishes we all have and why we like them. When MB and I registered for our dishes back before the wedding, I was sort of nervous. I had originally wanted brightly colored pieces, but MB had vetoed every set that I suggested. I finally settled on some really cool earth tone sets, but I was worried that we'd get sick of them after a while. Picking the man I'm hoping to spend my life with was easy; picking the dishes we might eat off of for the next twenty years...not so much. But, nearly three years later, I love the dishes even more than I did when we first chose them. MB still isn't overly fond of the brown ones, but he digs the blue and the green.

Back in December, I saw a set of the green ones on the clearance shelf at Bed, Bath & Beyond for half price, missing one bowl. We're usually one or two plates short when we have everyone over for Thanksmas Eve, so I suggested we pick up the set. Since we'd just slogged through the Christmas buying season, MB understandably nixed it, but I'd been regretting passing on the dishes a bit ever since, especially once I found out that the green pattern has been discontinued. After we talked about our dishes on the internet board, I poked around on replacements.com and found out that we can still get the green ones there, but for $25 per place setting. Woe!

Barely daring to hope, I took some coupons and went to BB&B yesterday while I was out. And this NEVER happens, but the green dishes were totally still there. Holy crap. Woohoo!






The scoreage continued today when I went Goodwilling with the bibliophile and evilducky. I found some cute shirts and the most fantastic fitted jacket ever ever ever:








As a happy bonus, I found some canisters for a friend who collects mushroom swag:




A mess of games for $1 each:




And what may be the most random item ever purchased at a thrift store:

Al's Nut Warmer


It lights up. I think my friend KWJ, henceforth known as the Untamed Shrew, will love it.




To close, here's a joke that my friend KP, a pharmacy tech, forwarded to me:

A nice, calm and respectable woman went into a pharmacy, looked the pharmacist straight in his eyes & said, "I would like to buy some cyanide."

The pharmacist asked, "Why in the world do you need cyanide?"

The woman replied, "I need it to poison my husband."

The pharmacist's eyes got big and he exclaimed, "Lord, have mercy! I can't give you cyanide to kill your husband! That's against the law! My license! They'll throw both of us in jail! All kinds of bad things will happen! No! You CANNOT have any cyanide!"

The woman reached into her purse and pulled out a picture of her husband in bed with the pharmacist's wife.

The pharmacist looked at the picture and replied, "Well, now, that's different. You didn't tell me you had a prescription."

8 comments:

  1. No comments? No comments!? No one has anything at all to say about any of this? Not even some crack about Al's Nut Warmer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:39 PM

    I own THREE of those games.. *feels proud*

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought al's nut warmer was too easy a target for jokes. also, i've been trying to decide if i'm the one getting canisters, and if so, where the hell i'm going to put them. i don't even know where the one i have from a different brand of the same set (different handle and slight color scheme variation) is at the moment. where does one lose a giant mushroom full of bottle caps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to disappoint, but they're actually for Katrina. Now I just have to hope I don't forget all about them by the time her birthday rolls around in November :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's perfectly okay. i'm not sure what i will ever do with my shroom when i get a place because i don't want my kitchen (or any other room) to go with the very 70's color scheme of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, since those were apparently available unpainted so you could do them to match your kitchen colors (my maternal grandmother had some in several shades of pink), if anyone ever finds some in cobalt blue i want them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE those green dishes!!!! So much!

    And all of your little nifty thrift store finds. You do realize that together, we would be a thrifting tornado of fury, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Heather...I would LOVE to go thrifting with you. Hells, that would be sweet!

    ReplyDelete