Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Official online store coming soon! *


I thought that I had nothing to write about tonight, but now, thanks to my friend A., I've got something cerrrazy.

I was kidding around with her about how Kitters costs MB and me $10 in rent per month, and that he doesn't even have a job to help pay his share (other than those modeling gigs, from which, believe it or not, we've yet to see a cent). She said, "You should spin his hair into yarn and sell it!" I've actually joked about this many, many times. I even have a marketing scheme all ready, in case the time is ever right. Since Kitters's real name is Billbo (yes, there's a reason for the extra L), we'd call the yarn BoHair, and market it as a cheaper alternative to mohair. Since he's white, it would be super easy to dye the yarn any color the customer wanted.

It's all fun and games until someone sends you a link to a company that really and truly spins yarn out of pet hair:  V.I.P. Fibers.

You can get glitter yarn:



And look...keepsakes:

"Now you can take your pet to the fanciest of resturants!"






This really is a genius scheme. Kitters sheds enough in one day to make a sock, at least, so if I collect all his sheddage for a few weeks, I should be have enough to open my own online store. I gotta get an Etsy shop, a spinning wheel, and a bookkeeper! This is going to be huge, ya'll!

I'll be taking pre-orders in the comments.

I'm Mr. Kitters, spokescat for BoHair, the yarn that'll make you purr. I can personally guarantee that you'll find our yarn to be fluffy and silky smooth. With a blankie made of yarn spun from my fur, every nap will feel like a catnap.
Try BoHair today!




Tips on Spinning Cat Hair

A Yarn Of Feline Fur













* or not

14 comments:

  1. i had a college prof who sold the hair from brushing her rabbit for spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. My mom spins (and so do I but very badly) and has been known to spin Behr-behr's fur. Her all-time winner though? She found yarn spun from POSSUM. POSSUM, people.

    Don't even get me started on the bizarre textile habits of my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G-Home....water through the nose when you mentioned a BOOKKEEPER!

    I love kitters...look at the picture..he's so photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to preorder one of those fancy shawls please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what's scary? If Gerb and her mom agreed to spin the hair, Brown-Eyed Girl agreed to be my bookkeeper, and evilducky knitted some sample products, we could theoretically actually do this.




    (Don't worry, I'm not serious...at least, I don't think I am.)


    (PS Possum hair?? That's AWESOME.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In school, everyone used to tease me about my "dog hair sweater" because my dogs are white and I always wear black, making it clear to all around me that I just basically use my dogs for a blanket.
    Now I could really have a dog hair sweater. Would people be allergic to your cat-yarn?
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, I'm not sure about the allergy issue. I've heard that most people are actually allergic to the dander that comes off the cat's skin, not the cat's actually hair, so in theory if the hair was washed well before it was knitted, it would by hypoallergenic. But I'm basically just pulling that out of my ass ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ACTUAL hair. BE hypoallergenic. God. I need to learn to proofread. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:14 AM

    I saw a yak hair knitted THONG on ebay one time. No I do not remember what I was searching for when I happened upon it. So, the question is now- who wants some yak hair between their cheeks?

    PS- I'd be honored to knit some of Kitters hair, should it ever come to that. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was some woman on the Today show who knitted a sweater out of her cat's hair but I think it took her like a year to get enough hair to make one sweater. So, if you need a suplement to the Billbo hair supply, I know where you can get some MoHair and K-Hair if you'd like to expand your product line.

    ;)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. With Mo and K adding their contribution, we could have multicolored yarn! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. if you wanted it, you'd be more than welcome to some frankie hair. our big shedder is bitsy, though, and i don't know how well her short hair would spin. she is three different colors and sable in places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately, the only hair I'd have to donate to your cause would be my own...we don't need pets in my house, cuz I've got the shedding quotient covered.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you know, you can spin human hair, because the nazis made socks for u-boat crews out of the hair they shaved off concentration camp prisoners.

    ReplyDelete