Tuesday, June 26, 2007

It's an addiction, and I need help. Just not right now.



I settled down last night to check my email and write a blog post, and the internet was dead. My dismay was only heightened by the fact that the outage removed the last excuse I had for not doing the dishes that were left from Evilducky's Friday night belated birthday party. During the dishwashing, I kept sneaking over and refreshing the browser window, but to no avail. The internet was well and truly nonfunctional.

Figuring it was some kind of scheduled maintenance or routine thing, I went to bed, slightly grumpy but not really concerned. I woke up this morning, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and ready to check my bloglines page...Woe! Rending of garments! No internet!

I left MB with strict instructions to check the internet as soon as he got home from work at 3 PM, and to call our service provider if we were still cut off. Around 4:00, he called me at work. He informed me that there was good news and bad news, and I asked to hear the bad news first (I always do; I feel like good news after bad can only serve to soften the blow).

He said, "The bad news is, we're going to be without internet for about a week."

I tried mightily not to whine. "What's the good news?"

"They know what the problem is!"

Whoops, here comes the wail:  "Are you SERIOUS? That's barely good news at all! This sucks!"


He offered some kind words of comfort, but they barely registered through the gloom. My blog! I can't abandon my blog for an entire week!

And then? He said the words I least expected to hear:

"You know I'm kidding, right?"



I'd be mad if it wasn't so damn funny. Well played, my lover. Well played.



Reading:  Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich


Playing:  Howl by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that is grounds for a swift kick in the ding a ling.

    What a cruel cruel man.

    Though very crafty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Ha! What a brat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ours was down a bit longer, because we were unable to reach anyone at said service provider, and couldn't fix the problem until today when, while still unable to reach an actual person, they had added an automated message telling people how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't there like, anti-cruelty laws for that kind of thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:21 AM

    I am pleased to see that someone else's husband is also a fibber of the large variety. The last time I believed something silly he told me (he had just stuck a blade of grass up my nose and then told me that he thought there had been an ant on it) I ended up trying to blow my nose, soccer player style, all over the lawn.

    I think a jape of an internet nature might not be received so well in our house either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hyperventilated just READING that!

    ReplyDelete