Saturday, December 01, 2007

Verklempt


The other day, my dear friend the Untamed Shrew and I were Google chatting, and she had this to say:  Ooo, can I warn you about your present? Ummmm it looks hugely wasteful. It looks like I spent a lot of money specifically for this kind of thing. I did not. I got the main part on eBay for $1, plus $5.98 shipping. I just want you to be reassured when you open it that I didn't go for the wastefulness that it looks like; that is, it wasn't intentional or premeditated. It was just such a freaking good deal, and the format was secondary.

Having just sent the book Julie & Julia to a friend with a note specifying that I'd bought it on super sale at Barnes & Noble so she wouldn't feel guilty or obliged to send a gift in return, I totally understood where the Untamed Shrew was coming from.

When I got home from work today, there was a package on the porch, from the Untamed Shrew. Inside, I found this ridiculously cool fish envelope:


The envelope held a sock that I left behind when I stayed with the Untamed Shrew back in May. After laughing my ass off for a good while, I checked out the rest of the gift.

There was a small box with a tag attached that said, "To Ant Velocibadgergirl from Bones. Thanks for the treats." When I visited, I brought treats from the happy hippie pet store for darling Bones, who was on puppy bed rest after knee surgery. Apparently he liked them quite a lot.

Here's the reaction Mr. Kitters had to me accepting a gift from a dog:


She also sent a piece of SoapWood and three SoapRocks. They smell delicious:


And then, I opened the big pretty box:


This is what 75 sample packets of Burt's Bees Milk & Honey lotion look like when the Untamed Shrew has subjected them to her madcap genius and enclosed them in 75 unique, handmade envelopes:


And I think I fully understand the term 'verklempt' for the first time:




I really should figure out a way to display these. Frame them in a shallow shadowbox, maybe? Seriously, though...I don't know what I did to deserve friends like the Untamed Shrew, but I'm damn glad I did it.


Reading:  The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Playing:  Maybe This Christmas Too?


"I still cannot believe you accepted a gift from a dog. I am disgusted."


4 comments:

  1. You lucky lucky girl. She really is divine.

    Poor kitters. Traumatized by bones the beautiful.

    I am in AWE that someone even DID that...that she even FOUND it...and so amused that she sent it to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll have to tell frank about kitter's "no dog gift" policy before he gets too far into his christmas shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thought of Frank out shopping is completely hilarious :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. honestly, he doesn't do any christmas shopping. aside from a trip or two to petsmart or the pet food center, the only store he ever gets to go to is the craft store. mostly he just gets to see the cash office while i get my check, but once we hung out in the break room while mom was using the potty and he managed to talk judy out of a few bites of her mozzerella cheese sticks.

    ReplyDelete