Saturday, January 26, 2008

The ghost of snacktimes past


About a month ago, I developed a sudden and inexplicable craving for Oh's cereal. I used to eat Oh's all the time as a kid, but they're really hard to find these days. I told MB that if he ever stumbled across a box while shopping, it was his sacred duty to buy them for me. A week or so later, we stopped by my parents' house, and they had a box of Oh's in the kitchen. I immediately demanded to know where they were purchased, and MB and I went by that store on the way home and bought a box.


I was almost ready to swear that there used to be a cinnamon version, too, which came in a red box, but I can't find any evidence of its existence online. I did find this awful 1987 Oh's commercial, though, which proved there used to be blue Oh's as well as yellow Oh's:



The Oh's were just as delicious as I remembered, which got me thinking about other snacks that I loved as a kid. Some of them, I still love. Others, it's hard to believe I ever ate them without hurling.


Fun fruits, for example! Does anyone else remember fun fruits? They were like the original fruit snack or something. I remember two things about fun fruits:  ( 1 ) I once sucked one halfway into my windpipe while playing in the backyard and snacking simultaneously. I'm extremely glad not to be the world's only known fun fruit fatality. ( 2 ) the yellow fun fruits always gave me terrible stomachaches. I'm sure they were mostly wax and food coloring.

There's very little evidence of fun fruits on the internet, but here's another awful 80s commercial. I actually remember seeing this one on TV:



I also remember sandwich cookies that had faces on them. I think they were called Rascals or something similar, but Google neither confirms nor denies their existence.


What about Fla-Vor-Ice? My mom used to buy these in bulk at Sam's and keep a stash in the chest freezer in the basement for me and my cousins to eat in the summer time. We used to suck the flavored syrup out, and then eat the plain ice that was left behind. Or we'd carefully move the popsicle up inside the plastic sleeve, letting the melting syrup collect in the bottom. At the end, we'd drink the syrup. I've only had a few Fla-Vor-Ice pops since reaching adulthood, because the syrup has enough sugar to induce chemical burns on the back of my throat.



Here's another perennial childhood favorite:


The official circus peanut wikipedia page says it best:  "They are a fairly polarizing candy as most people have a strong opinion about them one way or the other." Seven-year-old me was solidly in favor of circus peanuts. Nearly-27-year-old me is pretty strongly anti-circus peanut. Or at least anti-circus-peanut-in-my-mouth. Blech.

According to wikipedia, circus peanuts inspired another one of my favorite childhood cereals:  "In 1963, General Mills vice president John Holahan inventively discovered that Circus Peanuts shavings yielded a tasty enhancement to his breakfast cereal. General Mills formalized the innovation and created Lucky Charms, the first breakfast cereal to contain marshmallow bits (or "marbits")."

I will still eat Lucky Charms like they're going out of style, I have to admit.


The "polarizing candy" comment reminded me of another polarizing candy from childhood:  the classic love them or hate them seasonal snack...Peeps.


I'm firmly in the "love them" camp, which is further subdivided into three factions:  only good when fresh, only good when stale, and good anytime. I'm a love them / only good when fresh kind of girl.

Peeps are a cultural institution as well as an Easter basket classic. I've already linked many times to Peeps research and Peeps surgery. I am delighted to report that some people participate in Peeps jousting:  The messy and largely self-entertaining game, "Peeps Jousting" is played with a microwave oven. One takes two Peeps, and licks the right-hand side of each until sticky. A toothpick is thereby adhered to each Peep, pointing forward like a jousting lance. The Peeps are then set in a microwave, squared off against one another, and heated up. As they expand, the toothpick lances thrust toward each opponent, and the winner is the one that does not pop and deflate (or fizzle and die). Both usually are eaten after the competition, however, regardless who the victor was, calling into question the nature of "winning" in such a circumstance.[1] This folkloric tradition has been noted by the Washington Post. Peeps jousting has also been called such names as "mortal peep fight."


Also, because it's fantastically weird...Peeps Jesus:



Tell me...are there any foods from your childhood that you sampled as an adult and couldn't figure out why you ever liked them?


Reading:  The World Without Us by Alan Weisman (it's really, really good)

Playing:  the Juno soundtrack (listen to it at the official movie website)

12 comments:

  1. The thing about Fla-Vor-Ice was that the package always sliced my mouth up. We used to crush it up and then pour it into our mouths to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:08 AM

    My mother was, and still is, way cheap. So most of the snacks we had were the strange no brand type found in stores like Big Lots. Or the horrible stuff on holiday clearance that NOBODY wants - 3 pound bag of only black licorice jelly beans anyone? Blech!

    I used to adore Peanut Butter Crunch, but eating it now hurts the roof of my mouth. Sad, cause I still think it is tasty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Peanut Butter Crunch!!

    It still hurts the roof of my mouth, but occasionally I still eat it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOOOVE the Peeps. I used to love those big fireballs candy but can't tolerate them anymore.

    I used to love those Snowballs snack cakes. I think I would still love them but haven't had one since the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *love* Peeps. I eat them sometimes, but mostly we use them as toys, making fun scenes out of Peeps. We are sooo mature at my house. Our local news paper holds a Peep diorama contest each year, which I think is pretty wicked awesome.

    I remember the cookies with the faces, but can't for the life of me remember the name, so I'm not sure if Rascals is the right name.

    My stepsister once semi-choked on a fun fruit while running and screeching across the yard, causing their perpetual ban at my house.

    Fla-vor-ice was my paternal grandma's favorite treat to give to us kids. My aunt and uncles were from her second marriage, and only a few years older than my siblings and I, so we spent many childhood summer days at grandma's house with all of us kids eating those (outside only, because we were such slobs).

    I actually love almost all sweets, so I have yet to try something from my childhood that I now dislike. Although I have definite limits on how often I can eat things like Sno Balls or Twinkies or whatever, as my body says I can only eat like 1 or 2 of those in a month, otherwise the combined sugar and fat rush makes me practically pass out.

    Actually, now that I think about it, Girl Scout Cookies are hard for me to eat, but for a different reason. When I was a Brownie I was an excellent cookie seller. In 1984 they found pins in some of the Girl Scout Cookies, so instead of delivering the cookies to the people who bought them, my dad refunded the purchase price to everyone and bought the cookies himself. We then had a MILLION pounds of Girl Scout Cookies which we broke up into teeny tiny pieces and ate constantly. And this was when it was just my dad and I in the house, so we had to eat A LOT of broke Girl Scout Cookies. I'm kinda not so fond of Girl Scout Cookies ever since then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:24 PM

    As I was scrolling down the page and saw the words "polarising candy" I immediately thought of Peeps, which, lo and behold, you mentioned further down the page. I'm actually a Peeps convert and even went as far as to make a Peeps themes birthday cake for a friend in college.

    Props to whoever took their time with Peeps Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there's some fla-vor-ice in my freezer right now. and peanut butter crunch in the cabinet, come to think of it.

    i'm guessing you aren't talking about things like i used to love pickled beets and liver and onions?

    i haven't tried golden grahams with chocolate milk in a while, so i don't know if it's still a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:27 PM

    I have a friend who refers to Circus Peanuts as "gerbil flotation devices." Ha! They totally are.

    My childhood fave was Lik-M-Stix. I tried one about 5 years ago and almost threw up. Dipping sugar into sugar, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ZOMG LIK M STIX...aka Lik-A-Maid!! How could I forget Lik-A-Maid!

    That stuff was like powdered gold when I was a kid, but now...gack!

    Also, I thought of one I left off the original list...did anyone else eat those Malt Cups that they'd always sell at school field day? The ones you had to eat with the double-ended tongue depressor "spoon"?

    And, Fruity Pebbles! Then? Food of the gods. Now? Barf-o-rama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cookies with faces you're referring to wouldn't be Giggles, would they? We didn't have those very much, but for some reason I remember them. They were very distinctive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:40 PM

    Fruity Pebbles? Not when there are Froot Loops to be had. And as for Coco Pebbles, to me they just looked like scabs so I would never eat them. Having deprived myself of them for so long probably means they are the nectar of the gods, but I will never know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if Giggles are the cookies I'm thinking of, but we definitely ate those. Holy crap, talk about a blast from the past :D

    ReplyDelete