Saturday, February 09, 2008

My stupid little life


Today's cluster of events went off without a hitch. It was a very good day, just by not being a bad day. After I got finished with work, MB and I went to eat Chinese New Year dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. He ate there last night, with BoMB and R, so all the waiters and the owner kept teasing us about being back so soon. "Last night was boys' night," the owner's wife said. "Tonight is honeys' night." We ate corn soup and Szechwan dumplings, green beans wrapped in tortilla-like pancakes and spicy chicken. We drank hot jasmine tea and finished dinner by toasting with tiny glasses of plum wine that turned my cheeks bright pink and made me feel self-conscious. After dinner, we went to pick out a fridge for our new house, and popped in at the craft store so I could buy beads for a project.

When we got home, we lazed around on the couch while he drank wine and watched movies on TV and I ate Phish Food and read blog entries. Now, I'm in bed with my laptop, listening to a Decemberists CD and doing bloggy things. MB is on one side of me and Kitters is on the other, and they're both snoring, just a little. My left elbow is digging into MB's back a bit, and the cat's bony foot is digging into my right elbow a bit. We are an odd little parenthetical, a strange but mostly happy little family of snorers and navel-gazers. I know that no one cares what I had for lunch, but I feel like it's a good idea to remind myself every once in a while that my life? It rocks. Even when it's sort of boring, it's also pretty rad.

It's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much; my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. (American Beauty)

3 comments:

  1. I can tell when a blogger has had a good day because they need to tell every detail, because every little thing is crucial, a tiny necessary part of what made everything wonderful. The jasmine tea was necessary, and so was the fridge shopping, and the elbowy cuddling. They all added up to more than the sum of their parts. I write posts like that sometimes, and I recognize them when others write them, and I am very happy for you that you had such a lovely evening. And that's why sometimes it's not bad to hear what people had for lunch, because sometimes it matters. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lazing on the couch and Phish Food? Perfect day in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that movie
    and YAY for new fridges!
    and YAY again for blogging while in bed
    and even more YAY for husbands who gently snore
    :) hehe

    ReplyDelete