Monday, February 11, 2008

Somebody get her a copy of the DSM IV


MB and I recently enrolled ourselves in a life insurance policy, and the company had a call-center chick call me to verify some of my information.

call-center chick:  Are you currently being prescribed any medication other than cold medication, allergy medication, or birth control?

vbg:  Yes, I take Concerta.

ccc:  And what do you take that for?

vbg:  ADHD

ccc:  What symptoms does that medication treat?

vbg:  Uh...ADHD?

ccc:  How long have you had this condition?

vbg:  Forever?

ccc:  When were you formally diagnosed?

vbg:  At age twelve.

ccc:  Have you ever been hospitalized for this condition?

vbg:  For my hyperactivity? Yes. Yes, I have. (Okay, I didn't say that. But I wanted to.)

I just hope I don't have to spend hours explaining to my insurance company that ADHD is not really a life-threatening condition. Or even really a health condition. My mother used to have protracted battles with my dad's employee insurance representative over whether or not I was "too old" to be medicated for my ADHD, every single year. She still has to send them a letter every year from the doctor explaining that yes, my sister is still being treated for ADD, we promise.


In other, less eyeroll-inducing news, we finally got the snow we were promised almost two weeks ago, so I get the day off tomorrow. Yay! Of course, that probably means I should follow through on all that bargaining I did with the Universe earlier and spend all my newfound free time packing up the apartment. For now, though, I'm going to enjoy sharing the loveseat with the heat-seeking and therefore abnormally snuggly Kitters, and watch three back-to-back episodes of Naked Science on the National Geographic Channel. Because I'm a nerd, and that's how I roll.

I hope you are all staying warm tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment