Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The movie meme


This meme has been going around, and it's new to me, so I stole it from the fabulous Alison at Party of 3:

The rules:

* Pick 10 (or so) of your favorite movies.
* Find, remember, or look up a quote from each movie.
* Post them here for everyone to guess.
* Strike it out (I'm going to turn them green instead) when someone guesses correctly, and put who guessed it and the movie.
* NO googling or cheating by doing an online search. Cheaters never prosper.
* Commenters should share the fun and only guess one movie.

1.  "This happens to be a Nocturne. You know, Frederic fucking Chopin."

My homegirl M knew that this was from the fantastic film Tombstone. She's my huckleberry.


2.  "Do you think they are using the same wind we are using?"

Blogapotamus Rex knew that this line came from The Princess Bride. She's smiling because she knows something you don't know. (She is not left-handed either.)


3.  "Really? I live in Queens. Did you put that together yourself, Einstein, or have you got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?"

Alison fingered The Usual Suspects. Back when she was picking beans in Guatemala, they used to make coffee right off the trees.


4.  "With Mars your ruler in the ascendancy, you will get wiped out in a freak napalming incident and Helen says bollocks to you."

Daisy Jo made my day by picking this out as a quote from Sliding Doors, the movie MB and I watched on our first date. Daisy Jo remembers what the Monty Python boys always say...


5.  "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How have you been?"

Blogapotamus Rex identified this as a line from the superb Grosse Pointe Blank. She doesn't want to join your little club. She's a lone wolf, lone gunman, get it?


6.  "Well, Pete, it's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

I can't believe this one went last, but rabidmonkey finally picked it as a quote from the wonderful O Brother Where Art Thou. She has seen things that are not to be believed, like a cow on top of a cotton shed.


7.  "The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing."

My favorite otaku knew that this is a line from The Thirteenth Warrior. She is an ambassador, dammit! She is supposed to talk to people!


8.  "You whine like a mule. You are still alive."

Hoochie M also picked this one out, from Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves. She's going to cut your heart out with a spoon!


9.  "The ratio of people to cake is too big."

Bianca knew that this muttered complaint is from Office Space. She asked for a mai tai, and you gave her a piƱa colada. She might put strychnine in the guacamole.


10.  "Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb 'til '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center."

Bianca also nailed this line from My Cousin Vinny. She wants you to imagine that you're a deer. You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water...

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:50 AM

    Number 2 is from The Princess Bride, I believe. And Number 5 is from Gross Pointe Blank. Two most excellent cinematic choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:46 AM

    9 is Office Space

    10 is My Cousin Vinny

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4. Sliding Doors, and Anna said it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel lie such a tool I have no idea about any of them. None :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking number 3 is The Usual Suspects"? Great movie. I like the way it sounds when you say "Keyser Soze" out loud.

    Thanks for keeping this going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:46 PM

    Damnit! The one time I have an answer for this kind of meme, and somebody else got there first.

    I was going to say that 9 is Office Space, but... damn. I suck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, office space is the only one I got... although I think that I'll feel dumb about number 1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I only got 2 and 5...but so did someone else ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is 7 "The 13th Warrior", perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm almost POSITIVE #1 is from Tombstone (one of Josh's fave movies) and I have a suspicious that #8 is from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves but I cannot envision WHERE that would be in the movie or WHY I would think that so it's entirely possible I'm making weird shit up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i knew 4 of them right off and probably could have come up with one or two more if i'd had an reason to think harder about it.

    the only black on left, 6. is from o' brother, where art thou? it's the movie most likely to be randomly quoted at me by my own mother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. #6 - O Brother Where Art Thou?

    ReplyDelete
  13. GAH! What Danger said. She totally beat me to the punch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew #5 of course (Grosse Pointe Blank) but I failed, failed, failed to leave a comment saying so the first time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. um. I would be very bad at this. Unless we were talking about Hayao Miyazaki.

    Or zombies.

    ReplyDelete