Thursday, June 12, 2008

Beautimous


I read a semi-sad article on MSN today about "black dog syndrome", the slightly awkward nickname for the trend that shelters across the country have observed -- black dogs (and cats) tend to be overlooked more and adopted less often than their colorfully-coated counterparts. Sometimes it's because they blend in with the shadows in their kennels. Sometimes it's because they don't photograph very well, so people cruising animal shelter websites pass over them. Sometimes people say they can't see or read the dog's face that well because he's so dark. Sometimes people may have underlying or even unconscious superstitions about dark-colored animals. But no matter what the reasons are, it's still heartbreaking to think of all the wonderful dogs in the world who aren't given a chance, simply because of their black coats.

When MB and I decided to get a dog, he very quickly settled on a Lab mix as the type of dog to seek. I'd told him about the black dog syndrome, and so we were doubly committed to find a black Lab mix. MB even dismissed some potentials I showed him on the local humane society's webpage because they weren't black (reverse discrimination!).

I admit, Indy is sort of hard to photograph. He can blend in when he's in the shadows. He's also the best dog we ever, ever could've hoped to find, and we are so very lucky to have him in our lives. I know I probably talk about him too much, but...well...how could I not, especially after reading about how dogs just like him are being left behind in shelters all over the country?

MB and Indy on our very first walk around Petsmart. Right after this,
MB sent me to the ATM to get cash to pay the adoption fee
while he stayed at the store. We didn't want to put Indy back into
his cage and risk someone else coming along and picking him while we were gone.

On Tuesday I bagged up all the debris from the bushes
MB cut down last weekend, and Indy watched me the whole time
with the most scandalized expression. He was absolutely horrified that
I was throwing away perfectly good sticks.

Hanging out in the basement the last day the air conditioner was broken.
The photo doesn't show his ears flapping gently in the breeze from the fan.

Last night after obedience class, we had to stop by Sam's Club.
Indy waited ever so patiently for MB to come back.

He had this ball for less than a minute before he popped it.
I felt really awful for buying him such a wimpy toy, but damned
if he didn't play with the sad, flat thing for the rest of the evening.

He was also pretty pleased with his new bargain bin bear.
He spent a few minutes trying really hard to figure out
a way to hold both toys in his mouth at once.

"Hey, everybody! Black is beautiful!"


5 comments:

  1. Black dog syndrome - sad but true. The shelter I volunteer at almost always has half of the dogs who are black. It's even worse for cats; after Haloween the shelters always get a barrage of tortured black cats.

    I picked out my three guys for the personality, but in the end I'm more than glad to have 3 black animals (although that did prompt a racist joke to my mother once - "I bet you never thought your first grandchild would be black!" *facepalm*).

    Indy looks so much like Freki did in that photo in the car, although I can see the chow whenever he is looking at the camera. He has a very sweet face. May his ears ever remain floppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about black dog syndrome; what a sad thing. I'm glad Indy found you (or was it the other way around?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:42 AM

    I'd never heard of that one either; but Indy is adorable and I'm so glad you adopted him! If I could have (Jase wouldn't given in!) I would have adopted Oscar's black kitty brother home with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of that either.

    I love Indy.

    The end.


    No, not the end.

    Also, I love you.


    Really. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *highfive from fellow black dog owner*

    ReplyDelete