Saturday, June 07, 2008

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." -- Lou Erickson


We worked out in the yard for most of the day, and damn it was hot. I love having a yard and a garden, but this was not a day of cute gardening. There were no sassy hats or twee little garden clogs, no pretty glasses of lemonade. It wasn't sexy gardening, either, unless you like your garden chicks pouring sweat and wearing an old ratty baseball cap.

I did some stuff in the garden while MB and R trimmed down the bushes along the fence that MB hates.


When I took this photo, I was sort of sad that the bushes would be gone by the end of the day. Then the guys spent about an hour chopping and chainsawing them, and I spent another almost two hours hacking what they'd cut into pieces that would fit in the trashcans. Some of the pieces resembled that thing that comes out of the lake in the first Lord of the Rings movie, and some of them had inch-long thorns. It was not a nice way to spend an afternoon, but I suppose it'll be worth it to not hear MB bitch about the bushes every time he mows the grass.


The guys also went out with my dad to fetch a truckload of firewood from one of MB's coworkers. I felt sort of like we belonged in a Little House book, laying in wood for the long winter.




"Is it bedtime yet?"



New post up at the garden blog!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:47 PM

    You are taking bushes down and we want to put some up..mainly to block the nosy neighbor and noisy alley..

    That dog..too cute...

    ReplyDelete