Friday, June 27, 2008

Complimentary


Antonia at Whoopee did a great post today with a list of the nicest things people have ever said to her, and suggested that others write their own. Here are mine:


"You don't throw like a girl."

(Boy in my 10th grade gym class who incidentally picked me NOT LAST for his team. I did have a crappy football throw, but I tried really hard and I guess it counted for something.)


"You're way prettier than Uma Thurman. She's ugly compared to you!"

(MB, when drunk, which means he was being absolutely honest.)


"She's a good writer. You need to keep an eye on her."

(One of the most respected English professors at my university, to my advisor. One of my mentors told me that having him say you're a good writer is like having the Pope say you're a good Catholic. Too bad I never made anything of myself.)


"Ah. You're the girl with the funny jokes!"

(Tim Cahill, at a writers' retreat where I met him and shot the shit around a campfire one night. ZOMG. I still can't believe this one.)


"You're not like a regular grownup. You're cool. You're kind of like a kid, like us!"

(a girl at my old Girl Scout Camp on Thursday, where the bibliophile and I were serving as guest nature counselors, an adventure which I hope to have time to write about tomorrow night :P)

5 comments:

  1. Oh God, these are all great, and they make me want to meet you, with your funny jokes.

    I hate throwing like a girl. To be told you don't is a compliment of the highest order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anything :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fabu!

    My fave was when my husband begrudgingly admitted that I was a better writer than he is. Was. Whatever. He didn't say my grammar was better, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:24 PM

    I'd love to compare notes between Girl Scout Camp and Boy Scout Camp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite thing that someone said to me was:

    "You know what I like about you, Dawn? You like everybody. You don't care if someone is preppy or dorky or a druggie like me, you're nice to everyone."

    LOL! That was from this girl, Aja, who went to high school with me. I was touched.

    ReplyDelete