Sunday, September 14, 2008

North to the future


Around 2:00 tomorrow afternoon, I will be departing for a week in Anchorage. As in Anchorage, Alaska. I didn't mean to keep it a secret or anything, I promise. I didn't want to drive myself crazy with impatience, so when the trip was several months off I just put it out of my mind and focused on stuff that was more immediate. Then, suddenly, the trip was less than a week away and I hadn't even bothered to get excited about it yet. Awkward!


Now that I'm mostly packed and actually talking about it, I'm starting to get ridiculously giddy. I've never been to Alaska, and though like everybody else I have "visit all 50 states" on my list of things to do before I die, I always suspected that Alaska and Hawaii might be a little beyond my reach. And then I got an opportunity to go to Anchorage for a work-related thing, and I couldn't believe my luck. I still can't believe it, to be honest.

I invited my dad to go with me, since he loves to travel as much as I do, but he'd already scored a by-application-only volunteer spot at the Ryder Cup in Louisville for the same dates. My mom, who hasn't traveled beyond the Tri-State since I was twelve, surprised me by not only asking if she could go in Dad's place but by being super, super excited about the whole thing. I'll be attending meetings on Tuesday on Wednesday, and we're spending Thursday on an all-day glacier cruise.


(if I see this, I might actually fall down from shock and awe)


We'll have Friday and Saturday to wander around on our own. I'm not quite sure what we'll end up doing, but I don't think it really matters all that much. Even if we just go to the musk ox yarn store, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

I won't be toting my laptop along. I just couldn't work up enough determination to haul it through three airports and two flights on the off chance that I'll have time and energy to post a few times during the week. I'll be doing my best to be interesting on Twitter throughout the trip. I've recruited a few kickass guest bloggers to post while I'm gone, and something fun will be unveiled tomorrow. If all goes well, there will be something new posted here each day this week. See you all when I return! xo!

No comments:

Post a Comment