Friday, November 05, 2010

We played the first thing that came to our heads


We took Nico to visit out-of-town friends the weekend before Halloween and about an hour into our 1 ½ hour drive, he started to get fussy. I have this thing I do with babies and pets where I make up dialogue for them, so I said on Nico's behalf, "This is boring! I'm bored! I want a travel Etch-a-Sketch! I want travel Battleship! I want a DVD player like all those kids on the car commercials have!" MB replied, "Too bad. Those kids have jobs." I was about to retort that they didn't when I realized that actually, they do. They're paid to be in those commercials. And thus, we devised our comeback to all future shouts from our offspring about wanting such-and-such that they saw on TV. Sorry, kids! Outfoxed!

Then, after I sang "The Ants Go Marching" four times back-to-back because it was the only thing that kept Nico from crying, MB hooked up his iPhone to the car stereo and we belted out a duet of Tenacious D's "Tribute." I'm not sure the baby was impressed, but we had a good time. Hopefully Nico won't need a similar serenade this afternoon when he and I drive solo to meet up with a bunch of friends for a weekend away at a swank cabin on the river. MB has to teach Saturday morning and won't be meeting us until tomorrow afternoon, and there's only so many times I can tell the story of the greatest song in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Love the knit hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's an awesome answer to your kids wanting something from tv!

    at least you're not going to make your kid listen to news radio all the time. even though i now LOVE news radio, i often put it on to help me fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete