Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Three and three


three movies

MB put a random movie called Tucker & Dale vs Evil on our Netflix queue and we watched it last week.



Then we watched it again because it was ridiculously funny and so much better than we'd hoped. The trailer makes it look like it's probably mostly stupid with some funny bits, maybe something in the vein of all those dumb Scary Movie spoof spinoffs, but I promise…it's actually quite good. Also, Alan Tudyk is a seriously underrated comedic actor.

MB took me on a date to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie last Saturday and while it had moments of utter ridiculousness, it was fabulously entertaining. I don't have any deep loyalty to the books and enjoy seeing Holmes and Watson turned badass. I've never been a huge Jude Law fan, but he's made Watson my favorite character in those films. And then, on Sunday, my friend Danger took me to see Beauty and the Beast. The 3D is just for showoffs, but the movie has always been a favorite. I probably hadn't watched it ten years and it was great to see it on the big screen. As princesses go, Belle is pretty awesome.


three books

Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed by Carl Zimmer (blog) and The Word Made Flesh: Literary Tattoos from Bookworms Worldwide by Eva Talmadge & Justin Taylor (blog) are both themed collections of tattoos, and the titles pretty much say it all. Both made me wish I had something I found awesome enough to inspire a tattoo. I used to think I'd get a tattoo someday, but BOY OH BOY am I glad I never got one. None of the stuff I used to think was super cool tattoo material would've been anything I'd really want to live with for the rest of my life. I dodged a few bullets, for sure. I loved both of these books, for the great tattoos and most of all for the stories behind them. I expected to like the science tattoos and I did, but it was the literary ink that really made me wistful for my own super awesome never-regretted tattoo. Perhaps in a parallel life. After all, I already named my blog after my favorite poem, so that ship has sailed. (And better no tattoo ever than a full-sleeve Twilight tattoo, which I swear to God someone in the book actually has…I just can't help but think, really? That's going to be your favorite book forever?)

The third book which I read and really enjoyed was Growgirl by Heather Donahue. This article is what got me interested and I couldn't put it down. Educational and entertaining. So there you go…six recommendations for good stuff!

1 comment:

  1. I read a different article about Heather Donahue and now I want to read her book. MIght have to put it on my list.

    You should share the tattoo ideas you had (but didn't go through with)! I know for a loooooong time, I wanted a dragonfly. Then it was a 4-leaf clover (since my b-day is on St. Patty's Day). Thank God I didn't get either!

    ReplyDelete