Tuesday, March 04, 2014

float on

Hey, look at that. March, already. This year is trucking along at a pace that I don't recall approving. Usually by now I'd be thinking of spring things, but the winter is just lingering on, continuing to outstay its welcome. I'm in one of those spells where I'm not doing anything terribly noteworthy but I feel like I should say something, so here are a few somethings.


1. Perhaps it's because Elliott is at an age where he'd rather play with his toys than hang out with me all the time, but for whatever reason, I've been reading up a storm lately. I'm already at 8 books for the year, nearly half of my total number from the entirety of 2013. I doubt I'll set any records, but I've been enjoying myself. I'm keeping a list of what I'm reading in the books tab, so if you're interested you can venture over from whatever feed reader you're in and check it out. I think I'd recommend everything I've read this year, especially Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen and Ask the Passengers by A.S. King.

2. My birthday is coming up and my dad asked me yesterday what I want. And I, typically, can't think of a thing other than stuff I'd like to get the kids. Any suggestions?

3. I was off work today and will be off again tomorrow in exchange for working a big event last Saturday and Sunday. Well, Sunday was kind of a bust because we ended up shutting down early for bad weather, but I'm still taking all day off tomorrow. Nico went to afternoon preschool today because the public schools had a two-hour weather delay. It threw a bit of a wrench into my previous plans for the day, but Elliott and I managed to get quite a few errands done while Nico was at school, then we had both kids' well-child visits. N is 41 pounds and 43 inches, which puts him somewhere in the 90s on the growth chart I found online; E is 23 pounds and 30 1/2 inches and is 85th percentile for both. I was strangely disappointed that E is no longer off the chart, but then realized that's pretty dumb and obviously he's healthy and fantastic. After their checkups we picked MB up and celebrated our tax return coming in by having an early dinner at Panera (Nico's favorite).

4. I've been loving all the day in the life posts people have been writing lately. I'm itching to do my own since I haven't posted one since Nico was a baby, but I want to wait and do one on a typical day, not a random day-off day.

5. I finally jumped on the Greek yogurt bandwagon after someone on facebook posted that she'd finally jumped on and loved it. I tried Chobani and was really unimpressed, but now I'm hooked on the Fage with the cherry goo. And of course our grocery doesn't carry it, so I bought eight cups while I was at Target today. The kids have also turned into yogurt fiends lately. We are going through YoBaby like there's no tomorrow...the kids each ate two cups at breakfast this morning and then Elliott had two cups for dinner. People on facebook keep saying I should just make my own yogurt but I'm skeptical. I hate sour plain yogurt and only like it sweetened, plus I'm wondering if after I buy the milk and fruit and take the time to do it if I'd really be saving much money over buying pre-made organic yogurt for the kids.

Is that enough things? I think that's enough things.


Reading:  The Moon Sisters by Therese Walsh

Playing:  Make Yourself by Incubus


7 comments:

  1. I have so much trouble thinking of wish list things. The only way I can do it is to keep a list all year, adding things whenever I happen to notice something ("Oh, I like those earrings!" "Oh, I think I'd like to have that book"). Then when a holiday approaches, I go through the list and see what I still want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your dad live close enough that he could give you a night out? Or a pedicure gift certificate or something that you like but aren't willing to buy for yourself usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted by the night out idea. My parents are our childcare when I work, but they are also usually up for an evening here or there...maybe I'll see if Dad wants to get me a movie gift card or something?

      Delete
  3. Oooh I'm digging your book list. What did you think of the Joshilyn Jackson? I love most of her stuff and I've got it on my list already.

    Birthday ideas are SO hard for me. I usually just buy whatever I've been wanting, except for big items (which, incidentally are usually too expensive to give out as ideas.) But since you can read more now, perhaps Amazon cards (or do you have a Kindle? Paperwhites are like $99 now.)

    I am SO! EXCITED! about the YoBaby stuff at Target. I cannot for the life of me get Cam to eat yogurt, and the King of All Ear Infections NEEDS to be eating some yogurt thanks to steady regimen of antibiotics he's been on- our Target has YoBaby pouches, which he will gladly suck down unlike the other various methods of yogurt delivery we have tried. Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the JJ book! The writeup / flap synopsis made it sound a little hokey and unbelievable, but I really enjoyed it. I'm planning to read Gods in Alabama next.

      Delete
  4. Oooh I'm digging your book list. What did you think of the Joshilyn Jackson? I love most of her stuff and I've got it on my list already.

    Birthday ideas are SO hard for me. I usually just buy whatever I've been wanting, except for big items (which, incidentally are usually too expensive to give out as ideas.) But since you can read more now, perhaps Amazon cards (or do you have a Kindle? Paperwhites are like $99 now.)

    I am SO! EXCITED! about the YoBaby stuff at Target. I cannot for the life of me get Cam to eat yogurt, and the King of All Ear Infections NEEDS to be eating some yogurt thanks to steady regimen of antibiotics he's been on- our Target has YoBaby pouches, which he will gladly suck down unlike the other various methods of yogurt delivery we have tried. Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The texture of homemade yogurt is way different...not sure you would like it but I can give you some next time we make it. You have to provide your own goo of choice but jam of any flavor works well. Or fresh fruit! And yeah, I really doubt you'd save enough money to make it worth your while. We do ours as a way to preserve our raw milk supply. Plus I can digest it!

    ReplyDelete