Sunday, June 18, 2017

media

After not managing to read a single book in May (dammit, May), I powered through three in quick succession this past week:

1. The Boy on the Bridge by M.R. Carey. This is what I guess would be considered a companion novel to The Girl With All the Gifts, which I loved. Because the cause of the hungries is already known / revealed in this book it was a little less suspenseful, but it was still really good. It made me want to go back and read the other one again for details I'd forgotten.

2. Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King. The book discussion group I attend has read several books by A.S. King, and I've read a few on my own. So far I have liked them all, and this one was another strong showing. Glory O'Brien's History of the Future is still my favorite, followed by Everybody Sees the Ants.

3. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. Couldn't put this one down.

Now I'm going to attempt Thank You for Being Late by Thomas L. Friedman, because the local secular humanist group is trying to start up a book club, and this is their pick for July. It looks a little thinkpiecey for my tastes, but I'll give it a shot.

************************************

I went to see Wonder Woman last night and it was really great. It took a while to win me over, because World War movies aren't really my jam, but by the time it got to Diana's first real battle scene, I was all in. I'm already excited about the boys watching it someday and seeing a badass female superhero. Their first Star Wars movie was The Force Awakens, so we're making a good effort with the female hero examples.

************************************

I ponied up the $8.99 a month for the Starz app so I could watch American Gods and it's been well worth it. They've gone off-book a little more than I expected in the last few episodes, but overall it's been great. The casting is pretty perfect. I'm sad they've already finished the first season...I guess got spoiled watching Supernatural, which has 20+ episodes per season.

No comments:

Post a Comment