Friday, April 13, 2007

Friggatriskaidekaphobia? Never.


I try not to take it too personally when people warn me not to have bad luck on Friday the 13th. You see, I was born on a Friday the 13th, many years ago, and for most of my life, I've always had really excellent days anytime the 13th has fallen on a Friday. There was a weird span in college, after I started dating MB, when my 13ths sucked each month. One 13th, for example, MB wrecked his car. I felt betrayed by my lucky date, let me tell you. Suspiciously, my 26ths were really great that year. We justified it by figuring that since I was born on the 13th and MB was born on the 13th, we were getting great 26ths, but not-so-hot 13ths. I'm sure we were reading too much into it, and it seems to have evened out again. Today has been a pretty great day, other than when I spilled MB's floss picks all over the bathroom floor (No, I didn't rinse them off and put them back in the box. He's lucky I'm such a good wife.) and when my tea boiled over (Whoopsie. Still tastes good.) And just now, when the cat farted...that wasn't so lucky.

But! Other than that, a pretty good day, and a day off. Yay!

I was an errand-running, task-completing machine this morning. Highlights:

>> Catching up with my blogroll reading, putting away the dishes, and finishing the laundry before 10 AM

>> Cleaning all the clutter out of my car, after months of promising myself I'd do it. Best items found:  plastic train whistle, one monkey-print flip-flop that may not fit me, baseball, naughahyde phone book cover (made by my mother, long ago), two of the same unexciting kids' meal toy

>> Shipping the nut warmer to the Untamed Shrew, at a cost of $6.66. Heh.

>> Taking a full load of recycling to my parents' house, and remembering to drop off the huge trash bag full of packing peanuts at the box shop that takes them for re-use.

>> Going to Target and finding two bras that actually fit the ginormo-boobs, a pair of work pants for $5.47, AND two pairs of jeans on clearance for $12.48 each. The jeans are especially fantastic since most of the pants I saw on the racks had tags proudly proclaiming, "Cut slim through the hips and thighs!" while the tag on my hips and thighs, had they one, would proclaim, "Lots of space for chub storage and childbearing!"

>> Bringing home cat treats from the happy hippie pet store that the beast actually chowed down on. He usually turns his nose up at the organic treats we try to give him and holds out for preservative-laden stuff from the grocery store. Not that I blame him--given the choice between a huge tasty ice cream cone and a plain organic yogurt, I'd totally go for the ice cream.



In addition, I finished Welcome to Temptation last night, and I'm still giggling over some of the better lines. I think I'm going to have to buy a copy so I can re-read often.

And I got my basically-free Hiroshige print from art.com. They sent me a $10 email gift certificate for my birthday just for having a free login account with them (I've never even ordered anything before! Go sign up!), so I got this pretty thing and only had to pay $3 for shipping:




Then, then, I found out that my sister got accepted into the archaeology field program she very much wanted to attend this summer! She'll be here for most of the summer, working on excavations and research at a Late Prehistoric-era Native American village site. They only accepted 10 students! My sister, she's awesome. So very awesome. Congrats, sis!!



Reading: Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson


Playing: We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse, Back to Black by Amy Winehouse (sound warning on both!)






"Mmmm...plant."



5 comments:

  1. lmao. Oh, Billbo....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *heads for art.com*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:38 PM

    Lots of good news! :) Congrats to Sis. Congats on purchases! I'm terrible at catching up on my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know today was Friday the 13th until pretty much right when I read this post. So observant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:38 PM

    My husband used to be an archaeologist. I understand the import of your sister's accomplishment. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete