Sunday, July 08, 2007

Happy trails, old friend


He was never a cuddly dog, never a fan of giving kisses or getting his ears scratched. He never mastered fetch or shaking hands or anything very impressive. He never quite seemed to get the hang of the stairs. He was always a finicky eater, always had a sensitive temperament, always hated the rain almost as much as he hated getting his picture taken. He came to live with us in 1993, the last of his litter, passed over by who knows how many families because he'd never be able to father puppies. They sold him to my parents for $50, and we brought him home, named him Wolf because my dad had always wanted a Husky named Wolf.


He was odd, standoffish, not very friendly. Mom always figured he hadn't been "properly socialized" and Dad said he was weird, but said it with affection. We joked that he was more like a cat than a dog, pretended he was a human trapped in a dog's body and embarrassed to be seen in his furry form. He used to ride with us in the mornings when Mom dropped us off at school. He'd sit in the front bench seat of the fifteen passenger van with his muzzle wedged in the opening of the wing-style window. He loved going for walks more than anything in the world. Dad would always say, "That dog, he'd rather walk than eat," and it was true.

A year or two later, we brought home another dog that a friend of a friend had found in a parking lot and decided to give away after they realized their plan to sell him wouldn't get far without his AKC papers. When he moved in, everything changed. Our grouchy, aloof dog was suddenly playful, funny, much more affectionate. One summer, Mom felt bad for them, bearing Arctic coats and living in Southern Indiana. She bought them a kids' wading pool and filled it with water. They steadfastly ignored the pool until it was dry, and then invented a game that we called "Pool Tag." One dog would run and run and run, with the other in hot pursuit. Then the one being chased would leap into the empty pool, usually skidding in it a few feet across the yard, and the chaser would wait. Finally, the chased would leap out of the pool and the whole thing would start over.


Eventually the little pack grew to include another Husky and a Pomeranian with a bad case of short-man syndrome who seemed to think he was a Husky. Even though I feel a little bad admitting it, Wolf was always my favorite.

In the winter, I'd sometimes throw snowballs for the dogs, and they'd catch them gleefully in their mouths, crushing the packed snow into powder and then looking all around for the ball that had vanished. In the years before my parents abandoned their garden after realizing it was never going to survive the onslaught of eight rampaging paws instead of four, twelve paws instead of eight, sixteen paws instead of twelve, Wolf used to steal green tomatoes off of the vines. He'd never eat them, just pull them delicately from the branch with his lips and then roll them around a little. He used to hide out in a little den under the blackberry bushes and harass the birds.



I used to watch The X-Files up in my parents' room, on a tiny little black and white TV with all the lights turned off. One Friday, I watched the episode with the teenaged Native American boys turning into werewolves. Once it was over, I went down to the living room to watch TV with the rest of the family. I settled down on the floor in front of the couch, and tried to convince myself that I wasn't creeped out. Then, a cold, wet, wolf-like nose pressed itself to my ear and went "Whuff!" I had forgotten that Wolf was behind me on the couch. I have never jumped that high in my life, before or since.

The pack has dwindled in recent years. First Kojak, our second Husky and Wolf's best friend, just stopped eating. My parents tried everything, but not even cooking him hamburgers could recapture his interest. Non-invasive tests showed nothing, and no one felt it would be fair to put him through exploratory surgery, especially since it would probably only reveal something dire, like cancer or disease. Once Koj was gone, Wolf assumed the mantle of alpha dog, and became the watcher, the one who never played unless an outranking human was in the yard to guard over his charges. Shadow, the Pomeranian, died suddenly in his sleep a few years later. Wolf and Tasia, the only girl of the pack, pressed on, living much longer than we ever expected.


We had to say goodbye to our old man yesterday. In people years, he was 98 years old. His heart was still willing, but his body just couldn't keep up. He had long given up on the stairs, relying on Mom to carry him up and down. His front legs still wanted to dance and bound and go for long walks, but his back legs weren't so sure. The vet assured my parents that he wasn't in any pain, that it was just nerve damage keeping the signals from reaching his back paws every time that made him walk so unsteadily. Sometimes he would fall, and when he did, he couldn't get up without help. It was time.

I feel certain that he's somewhere nice, somewhere where it never rains, where it's never hotter than 70 degrees in the summer, where there's always someone around to throw snowballs. He never has to go up and down stairs, and he never has to get his photo taken. A place where this guy has been waiting, only to bound up joyfully, saying, "Hey, old friend...what took you so long?"



12 comments:

  1. I noticed the verbs were past tense, and I got really sad. I'm sorry about your puppy. He was very awesome.

    I had a similar experience with that X-files episode, I had a pack of coyotes howling in my yard at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:25 AM

    I've always felt that it's kind of an absurb cosmic joke that humans have the capacity to get emotionally wound up with animals since they have, if they're lucky, a 5th of our life spans. We end up having to say goodbye over and over.

    Sorry to hear about your oldest furry friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:13 AM

    Free memorial portraits? Collages? You name it. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. *wishes she had some free memorial product or service to offer* Sorry to hear about Wolf. We all know that our animals will get old and eventually we'll need to make certain painful decisions in their best interest, but it still totally sucks no matter how prepared you are for it. You sound much more composed than I think I'd be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a few days to prepare myself for saying goodbye, and a whole day after it happened to think of what I wanted to write, so that definitely helped. It would honestly have been harder to watch him to continue to deteriorate than to let him go with the grace and dignity he deserved.

    But I did cry at the vet's while we held him, and I cried when I got to the end of the blog entry. And now I'm getting sort of misty-eyed again. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh G homie this made me cry. Loss of a pet is so damn hard. And the comment regarding saying goodbye over and over again seems like such a cruel joke as its so true. Yet we love a pet again and again only to say goodbye. It's just heartbreaking.

    What a beautiful entry though for a beautiful dog.

    Though I must say it's the last paragraph that made me finally laugh and cry. A place with no picture taking? That MUST be doggy heaven. ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:52 PM

    I'm so sorry for your loss - losing an animal really, really sucks. He is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this makes me think of what chris said about when they took zip (i didn't have it in me to go). that at the very end he looked truely happy, like all the aches and pains of being 18 were the first thing to ebb away. i find that somehow comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wept before I went to work yesterday reading this. It is a lovely tribute.

    I think the bravest thing we ever do as humans is to love animals, knowing we will outlive them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for the loss of your buddy. This always sucks. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Your tribute to your beautiful dog made me cry. It's tragic when the big dogs lose their backsides, despite their resolute spirits. We recently let go of our magnificent German Shepherd mix for the same reason. Hopefully some dignity in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cried a little when I read that. I'm glad you got to say goodbye and that you got to be there when he was put down.

    I am going to be a mess when Buzzard and Maynard go, I just know it.

    ReplyDelete