Thursday, November 15, 2007

Something worth fighting for


He crouches like a sprinter at the starting block, muscles coiled, eyes alert. He's built more like a defensive lineman than Flo-Jo, but don't let his bulk fool you...he can turn on the speed when it counts. As the jingling toy begins to disappear from view around the corner at the other end of the living room, he springs. He tears full-on across the carpet and as he reaches the toy, I snap the wand so it flies up into the air. He follows it, body arcing spread-eagle through the air in fierce joy. Sometimes I swirl the toy in wide circles above him and he follows its movement, a tiny whirling dervish dressed in a white coat. If I change the toy's trajectory quickly while he's in mid-sprint, he'll skid to a stop, leaving deep but temporary paw-sized furrows in the carpet. Other times, I drag the toy around the corner into the kitchen. As soon as it's out of sight, he barrels after it, his feet losing grip on the slick floor. He'll slide sideways, rebound off the front of the washing machine, and regain his forward momentum in a mad scramble. He can jump almost five feet straight up, twisting and coiling in midair to track his quarry. When he's tired, he'll flop unceremoniously onto his side, almost dog-like, and rest for a bit.

It's because of moments like these that I still fight for him. Despite the attitude, the frequent refusal to eat the crushed-up pill hidden in his dinner, I'm not ready to give up. MB and I both have scars on our legs from his teeth *, but just this past Monday, he wanted cuddles, so I stretched out on the couch and he napped on my stomach for almost two hours. His last freak-out was so sudden and so scary that for two weeks after, MB and I would involuntarily flinch away when he came trotting through the room, even though we're ten times his size. Lots of people think it's nuts for us to pay money to medicate him, to keep trying new methods of teaching him to control his behavior. But I'm not ready to cash in my chips, not prepared to give up on him. Kitters and I, we have not yet begun to fight. We might not win in the end, but we're going to give it all we've got.




* For the sordid tale of the bite that convinced us he had a real problem, go here, here, here, and here. For slightly gross cat bite pics (if you like that sort of thing), go here and here.

6 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I don't think you're crazy to pay to have your cat medicated. He is a part of your family. He is your furry baby boy. Hell, I've been hearing Kitters stories and seeing his pictures for so long, he's like an extended part of MY family.

    Not only do I not think you're crazy, I think it shows amazing strength of character. People less dedicated and responsible with their companion animals might drop him off at a shelter saying something lame like, "Oh, well, we have to move and can't take him." And then he would be someone else's problem. And then someone else's. And someone else's. You love him, and you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather...you made me cry a little, dude. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. nobody can put a price on love.

    i wish there were something i could do for my fish; i think he might be depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...medicate cat vs. get mauled periodically. medicate seems like the best option to me.

    you might want to revisit the issue and evaluate how his treatment is coming along before you starting making mini-badgers, but i always advocate exhasting all options before you write off a pet.

    besides, i've known people who kept cats who had similar issues that were not periodic, but constant. now that is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what you are doing is excellent...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Hello - been reading for a while. I worked for a vet and have 4 kitties, so I can sort of understand what you are going through.

    One of my cats is on Prozac. She would prefer to be an only child, but has to share the house with 3 others and gets very stressed and jealous. She has been taking Prozac for awhile now, and she gets by with 1/2 of a 10mg tablet about 2x a week. More often if something big and scary is going on - like when we moved from Indy to TX. Maybe Kitters' dose can be reduced too after a while and results are good? Less meds = less traumatizing pill popping!

    Hint for pilling a cat - once you have wedged the pill down their ungrateful little throat, wait for the cat to lick its nose. That means the pill has been swallowed, and the cat is not waiting to spit it out in a corner as soon as your back is turned.

    Also, Elavil might work for you - ask your vet. Depending on how severe the problem is - and I know it is severe for you - it can help "take the edge off" of the cats nasty habits/personality issues.

    ReplyDelete