Monday, November 26, 2007

We're talking full-on Exorcist twist


I had to give up my car today. Not the CR-V, of course, but my first car. It was a bittersweet parting, truthfully. She never won any beauty contests, but she had sass and she was mine. I drove her one last time, fast, on the expressway, listening to the familiar rattles and rumbles. As wonderful as my new ride is, I doubt I'll ever recapture the sweetness of a hot summer day's drive out in the country, windows down and radio blaring, free to roam in a way I never had been before. She was with me for a lot of things, good and bad. We had a lot of great times, a lot of adventures. But in the end, it was time to say goodbye. In a way, today felt like the beginning of an inexorable march toward real adulthood. This morning, I realized with a blend of amusement and horror that in all likelihood, I am now driving the car that I will use to take my children to school. I think I'm ready to face growing up, but it's still a lot to handle on a Monday.



At least I had a surprise waiting at home, a gift from my friend Tam:




Nothing like a little bit of ass-kicking to chase away sad thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. *squeal*

    My favorite series in the world!

    I hope you love it.

    signed,
    random reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Buffy, but unfortunately, I associate it with the British Bastard.

    ReplyDelete