Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Definitely, not maybe


MB and I went to see Definitely, Maybe tonight. I really enjoyed it, and it reminded me that although I've told the story of how I met MB, I've never written about the proposal.

We met on August 7, 2000 (My God, has it really been that long? Insane.) and he officially asked me to be his girlfriend on August 30. Within two months or so, we were pretty sure we were going to get married someday. I confirmed it with the bibliophile's Magic 8 Ball, just to be certain. MB gave me a promise ring for Christmas in 2001, but we weren't in any hurry. We were both in school, and I'd picked up a second major, which meant staying in college for a fifth year. At the end of my junior year, May 2002, I moved into MB's apartment.

Then it was March 2003. March 8th, to be precise. We were gathering up dirty clothes and homework and getting ready to head over to my parents' house to do laundry. I remember that MB was taking FOREVER to get ready. It was unseasonably warm, and I was getting hot and grumpy waiting on him. I think he shaved. And then he brushed his teeth, and around that point I was all, "Hon, we're just going to my parents' house...nothing fancy is required." Then he came out into the living room in a sweater, and I was truly baffled. I believe I said, "Are you insane? It's 80 degrees in here." Romantic, I know.

And of course, right after I was clueless, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him, and gave me a big sparkly ring, and of course I said yes. Later, when I was recounting the story of how he spent so long getting ready, he said, "I wanted to make sure you wouldn't have to tell your friends I looked like a bum the night I proposed to you."

Take it from me, he looked really nice.

1 comment: