Wednesday, October 24, 2007

We Heart Mike Rowe


I'm a big Dirty Jobs fan, so we watched a few episodes on the Discovery Channel last night. Mike Rowe also narrates a show that I'll always stop for when channel surfing, Deadliest Catch, and some episodes of my Wednesday night must-see, Ghost Hunters. Because, clearly, TV is no fun unless it's scaring the pants off me or totally grossing me out.

Anyhow, this morning, MB told me that he had a weird dream last night after watching Dirty Jobs. He and BoMB and Mr Muskrat* invited Mike Rowe to go camping with them, but they made sure it was the "ultimate Kentucky camping trip," so there was a mudpit. When they got back to camp and announced it was dinner time and then busted out their traditional camp meal of giant steaks, Mike Rowe was all, "This is my kind of camping."

I have to tell you, I think going on a camping trip with Mike Rowe would be pretty damn awesome, if he didn't get everyone killed.



If you haven't seen Dirty Jobs, you're seriously missing out. Apparently the Discovery Channel website streams full episodes here. They also stream two of my other favorite shows, Mythbusters and What Not to Wear.



*BoMB = Brother of MB, Mr Muskrat = coworker and camping buddy of MB



Reading:  Little (Grrl) Lost by Charles de Lint

Playing:  Cowboy Junkies on shuffle (great rainy-day music)

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:41 PM

    I love all of those shows! Dirty Jobs is so good -- really shows you how people actually earn a living doing them, and what would we do without 'em?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Jamie's big mustache fascinate you the way it fascinates me? I CAN'T stop looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between the mustache and the beret, I can never decide which one amuses me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:02 PM

    ooowww Ghost Hunters sounds like my kind of show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Deadliest Catch. But I really, really love What Not To Wear. I often wonder how Mike Rowe got his gig. Even though he spends a lot of time in poop, I'm sure he makes enough money to make it worth his while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I Googled him to verify that he really was narrating the episode of Ghost Hunters that we were watching, I found out that he's been known as "the voice of the Discovery Channel" for a while.

    Originally he was supposed to be the on-camera host of Deadliest Catch, but when the Discovery Channel picked up his idea for Dirty Jobs, they told him he had to choose which one he wanted to host, since the shows were airing back-to-back, and one was more serious than the other.

    Apparently he also used to sing opera. Who knew?

    I wish I had an idea cool enough that Discovery Channel would say, "Yeah, let's make a show about that!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg... they stream what not to wear?! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One thing....did you know that Jamie (of mustachio and beret fame) went to IU for a masters in library science??

    ReplyDelete
  9. What the bibliophile said!

    ReplyDelete