Wednesday, November 28, 2007

unmake pandoras battery:  a NaBloPoMo Googleage report


egg salad turns green and egg salad turning gray
I'm slightly alarmed that people need Google to tell them that this is a bad, bad sign.


egg salad a half a year old
Whatever you do, do not open that bowl.


"am barefoot" flickr
Like this?


what are egg salad feet?
Some kind of weird combination of the previously cited search queries, or an unfortunate skin condition? I'm not sure I want to know.


WHY DOES EGG SALAD SMELL?
Possibly because you've left it in the fridge for 6 months? Or because feet are involved somehow?


"living with an engineer"
Be strong, my sister. Be strong. It's 100% worth it, though the road can, at times, seem very long.


pictures of pretty looking cartilage piercings
I found lots of ordinary cartilage piercings, and quite a few slightly freaky ones. Also, who knew there were so many ways to decorate an ear?




jamie fraser outlander
He made it onto my literary makeout candidate list, and now he's a YouTube star:


I was going to say something sarcastic about this, but I get the feeling the people who created it are just so earnest about the whole thing.


youtube rolling vbg
Unlike Jamie, I am not a YouTube star. Sorry to disappoint.


"glad i don't have testicles"
Ah, an old standby! Welcome back, testicle-hating Googlers!


designing on a dime coffee table with river rock inset
I couldn't find a photo of this, which is a shame, because it sounds really fab.


http://www.technorati.com/blogs/loudmouth
I can't deny it, so I might as well own it.


"mr kitters"
Ask and you shall receive:



my cat ate half a prozac
So did mine, but I guess it's a little different since his name is on the bottle.


chaucer twat
This actually led to the book blog, but since I was #1 on the list, I had to include it.

Here are two quotes from The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson:

"It is often noted that Chaucer's spelling was widely inconsistent: Cunt, if you will forgive an excursion into crudity (as we so often must when dealing with Chaucer), is spelled in at least five ways, ranging from kent to quainte. So it isn't possible to say whether the inconsistency lies with Chaucer or his copyists or both."


"Rather more alarmingly, the poet Robert Browning caused considerable consternation by including the word twat in one of his poems, thinking it an innocent term. The work was Pippa Passes, written in 1841 and now remembered for the line "God's in His heaven, all's right with the world." But it also contains this disconcerting passage:
Then owls and bats,
Cowls and twats,
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods,
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry!

Browning had apparently somewhere come across the word twat--which meant precisely the same then as it does now--but pronounced it with a flat a and somehow took it to mean a piece of headgear for nuns. The verse became a source of twittering amusement for generations of schoolboys and a perennial embarrassment to their elders, but the word was never altered and Browning was allowed to live out his life in wholesome ignorance because no one could think of a suitably delicate way of explaining his mistake to him."


wicca too femmy
And Satanism's too butch. What's a brooding pagan to do? (another badgerbooks hit)


Does God say women must look frumpy
I don't have a direct line or anything, but I'm thinking the answer is no.


i live in new jersey and have cave crickets what do they eat
I can't prove it, but I suspect they're after your soul. (Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate)


angelina jolie and mind control
I don't even know what to say about this. It's just so perfect, all by itself.


we kickin doors we robbin stores creep in 64's
How am I possibly the #1 hit for this?


ugly christmas cat sweater
I am so happy that I can use this as an excuse to link to Crazy Aunt Purl's cat sweater contest gallery. This makes me give thanks that the internet was invented, so that these sweaters can be preserved for posterity.

7 comments:

  1. possibly the best one yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any post that involves the word twat makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, I'm glad I rediscovered your blog. You're cracking me up, something I desperately need to be doing right now, as finals week approaches, tangling with marital issues, work, and plain old life along the way. I MUST LAUGH.

    I kinda like cave crickets, though we don't have them around here, so I really shouldn't be pronouncing on the matter. I have the tendency to love everything - with a few exceptions - to a degree that distresses people sometimes. Sometimes even myself! Your cave cricket does remind me, though, of my own arch nemesis, the house centipede. I shuddered even as I wrote that sentence. See here:

    http://i.pbase.com/o4/90/516390/1/61400403.1393web.jpg

    Actually, now that I review this critter in comparison to your own nemesis, I'm beginning to get it. They actually look kind of alike, only mine has more legs.

    Shudder.

    ALRIGHTY, then. I shall draw this inappropriately long and meandering comment to a close.

    Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aiieeeee!! Anne!! That is the creepiest thing I have EVER seen. If I saw that in my house, I might have to move. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:21 PM

    How about the names for the ear piercings. My favourite one is "anti-tragus."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:27 PM

    Twat is one of those words I'm going to have to be careful of when we move back stateside. It's a rather casual curse in the UK and an excellent way of describing someone, who is being a complete dickhead. It has a lovely, harsh ring to it and I use it rather easily. (Maybe it's just the people in the town that I live near, I'm not sure.) It is especially effective in heavy traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I agree...twat is a GREAT curse word.

    It always makes me think of Shaun of the Dead, too..."I did not call Dianne a failed actress!"

    ReplyDelete