Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dead Reckoning


Originating with Linda at All & Sundry.

Here are mine from years past: 2006, 2007, 2008.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? Got myself good and knocked up.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Pfffft. As soon as I got pregnant, I pretty much forgot about my goals for 2009. But looking back at them, I guess I did okay. #1 was "develop better eating habits," and I definitely did that. Until I got derailed by the holidays, I ate better this year than I have in my adult life. Breakfast every day, healthy snacks, almost no soda, and -- for quite some time -- barely any sweets. I knocked #3 out in February and got two photographs accepted into a show. I managed to clear out quite a bit of clutter (#4) for our yard sale in October. We're in the midst of #6, redecorating one room in the house for the baby.

For 2010, I'm keeping it simple. I just want to be the best wife, mother, and friend I can be.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Several of my good friends had babies this year!

4. Did anyone close to you die? One of my uncles passed away, but we definitely were not close.

5. What countries did you visit? We didn't travel at all this year, actually.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? It's not really a lack, but in 2010 I'd love to have the happy, healthy, on-the-outside baby that we've spent almost all of 2009 hoping and preparing for.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? May 1 - positive pregnancy test; June 24 - had our first ultrasound and saw our baby kicking and kicking and kicking its tiny feet; August 19 - found out we'd be having a boy!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? The entire month of November was consumed by a huge programming blitz at work, and I have to brag a bit and say that I totally pulled it out. I had a lot of help from coworkers and volunteers, and we kicked ass. Those dates will stick in my mind, too.

9. What was your biggest failure? My time management skills are still not what they should be, I fear.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope! I am one of the lucky assholes who didn't even get morning sickness. Wait, except I did maybe have swine flu, but luckily not for long.

11. What was the best thing you bought? I finally got my new camera this month!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? MB continued to rock.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I can't really think of anyone who was that disappointing this year.

14. Where did most of your money go? We got new windows, had the house painted, and got new insulation put in the attic this year.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?


16. What song will always remind you of 2009? I spent weeks listening to the Decemberists' Hazards of Love, so I think that album will stick out in my memories of this year.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? Happier, way fatter, and poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I suppose I should have worked harder to get the house decluttered and organized before the baby's arrival became imminent.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? I think I watched way too much television, even if most of it was nerd TV.

20. How did you spend Christmas? We had Christmas Eve dinner with my mom's extended family, went to my parents' house to open presents with them and my sister after that, and spent Christmas Day in our pajamas at home. We also had a fantastic Thanksmas Eve gathering this year, had another get-together with friends the night after Christmas, and had a chance to have dinner with some college friends who now live in Nepal.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009? Here comes the cheese -- I fell more in love with MB this year.

22. What was your favorite TV program? There aren't any shows that I'd be absolutely crushed if I couldn't watch, but I liked Deadliest Catch and Top Chef quite a lot this year.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope!

24. What was the best book you read? I really enjoyed most of the books I read this year, but I think Tamora Pierce's Terrier and Bloodhound might've been my favorites.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I'm still really digging the Decemberists.

26. What did you want and get? The new camera

27. What did you want and not get? It would have been nice to get a few more small renovations done on the house.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? 500 Days of Summer

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? For my 28th birthday, we went for a really great hike, about a month late due to weather.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Winning the lottery or receiving a fat inheritance sure would've been nice.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Thanks to a huge box of really kickass maternity hand-me-downs from my awesome friend Rachel, I was actually better-dressed this year than any other year I can recall.

32. What kept you sane? MB, walks with Indy, time to relax, talking with friends

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I can't really think of anyone who really caught my eye this year.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? I continue to be disappointed by discrimination against same-sex couples.

35. Who did you miss? Friends who live far away

36. Who was the best new person you met? I didn't meet her this year, but I got to know my work friend Julia in 2009, and she rocks.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. Managing to stay Zen throughout my pregnancy in spite of my normal Type A tendencies has been fantastic. I hope it will serve me well after the baby is born.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. During the time we started trying for a baby, I was listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication, and the line "Do you carry the Moon in your womb?" from the song Porcelain stuck with me for several weeks. I suspect it'll always remind me of those days of hope and nerves and constant wondering what was going to happen.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, G. I know that 2010 is going to bring much happiness. So exciting! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy new year! Thank you for welcoming me back to blogging - didn't expect that.

    Wonderful news about The Baby! Yay! I wish you and your family much joy and happiness in the new year, and hopefully a fair amount of sleep too. All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year and Happy Countdown to your new baby.
    2010 is going to be a good year for you!

    ReplyDelete